Need some help please, Roo or Hens?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Artski, Mar 29, 2016.

1. Artski

Artski Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2016
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The last one I'm 99% certain is a cockerel but the other 2 I'm not sure as they were the same as the one that is a pullet for sure up until recently. They had the same feather pattern and their tail feathers came in a week earlier than the roo. Any insight would be really appreciated. Thank you in advance.they were sold to me as red sexlinks and are about 5 weeks old.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2016
  2. elizabethjg

elizabethjg Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2016
    Texas
    I'm not sure what breed they are, but they are all looking like cockerels. And I am not a pro at determining gender. Beautiful birds though!

1 person likes this.
  3. Artski

Mar 24, 2016
    [​IMG]

4. ShellyBear

ShellyBear Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2010
    the third pic looks like a roo

5. Artski

Mar 24, 2016
    [​IMG]

Here another view

6. ShellyBear

ShellyBear Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2010
    that one looks like a roo

7. Artski

Mar 24, 2016
    The third pic is of the one I thought for sure was a roo as his wing pattern had all equal feathers and all the others had alternating long and short feathers

8. harmesonfarm

harmesonfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2015
    Nanaimo, BC
    What breed are these chicks?

I'm thinking the second one may quite possibly be a roo, how old are they? 5 weeks or so?

it is a possibility that they are all roos, but it seems odd that they have all they're feathering already at that age, usually roos have a slower more patchy look is my understanding but perhaps that also depends on the breed.

perhaps someone with more experience will see this, good luck!

1 person likes this.
  9. Artski

Mar 24, 2016
    They were hatched on Feb 27 and out of the four that I got which were supposedly red sexlinks and the feathering part is what has me confused because the first 2 got their feathers well before the others and the roo which is the last pic has been slower to getting his feathers

10. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Where did you get them? Farm? Hatchery? Feed Store?
    Red sexlinks should be sexable at hatching. Males and females have different down colors. Males are white or pale yellow. Females are golden. The difference in color can usually be seen immediately. If these are 'backyard' bred red sexlinks, then it's buyer beware. Not everyone understands the genetics behind sexlinking. For red sexlinks, you need to cross a rooster with a red/gold base color with a hen that is silver (black and white). The silver hen can only pass that silver base color to her male chicks. The girls can only get their father's golden coloring. But the this only applies to the first generation. Since they are cross breeds, they don't breed true. You can't breed a male sexlink with a female sexlink and still get sexlinked chicks. The male/female traits don't carry on.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2016
    2 people like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by