need some help please!

bahamh

Chirping
5 Years
Mar 26, 2014
Long Island
Have 1 chick who just doesn't seem to be doing well this am I noticed it wasn't at the food and water with the rest, it looks smaller than the rest and keeps hanging back. Tonight when I got home the rest of them went nuts when I put fresh food and water down and this little guy didn't care at all.I put her beak in the food/water so she knew it was there she just put her head back down and went to sleep. I'm afraid I'm losing her! My last batch we had no deaths! Can I force feed her? She's so tiny I don't want to hurt her. I'm separating her for the night, but even that I'm worried about she won't have the warmth from the other chicks. They are only abt a week old, any ideas at this point would be great! Tia

Sometimes chicks will not make it. A mortality rate of 3-4% should be expected whenever raising chickens. Aside from making sure her vent is clean, she is warm, and offering electrolytes in her water, there is nothing that can be done. Either she will live or she will not.

Double post sorry. Hitting the back button on my browser does this..

Last edited:
It just happens sometimes. I like to think there was a reason like a rough hatching or possibly a flaw in embryo development that makes this happen...but really, who knows. In any case there truly isn't a whole lot you can do to fix it.

I would leave it in with its buddies, the stress of separation might tip the scales for the worst. Unless it is being picked on?

Last edited:
Oh, one more thing. The last chick I had like this, I was so sure she was going to die that I called the feed store I got her from to ask if she could be sick. They said nope, just happens sometimes. And to come pick up another chick free of charge! Free chicken, I am totally OK with that.

I was afraid of it being picked on. I have an americauna in there that is bigger and was pecking at everyone yesterday. We bought them at the same time, but I think the houdans(sick chick) are younger. Thanks for the help!

Sorry for the double or triple posting, can I delete my posts? Hitting the back button on my browser is causing this!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom