Need some help please?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Madenglishman, Nov 16, 2014.

1. Madenglishman

Madenglishman Out Of The Brooder

Nov 16, 2014
    Hi all new hear we have some Cayuga ducks one of the drakes has developed a large solid lump on his anus
    He seems to eating and moving around as normal and does not seem in any distress

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Can any one tell me what can be done and what it is

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I've never seen anything like this, I'd bring him inside and let him soak in some nice warm water to see if it will soften enough for you to pick it off very carefully. it may just be poop that has dried and hardened, but I would take care of this asap to make it possible for him to poop. after letting him soak wrap him in a towel and lay him on his back and see if it will pick off I'd keep soaking till you get it all off. and please up date progress.

AND Welcome to BYC

3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I would get him to a vet a.s.a.p. Meanwhile, an Epsom salt compress on the area for several minutes every few hours.

Is he able to pass feces?

4. Madenglishman

Nov 16, 2014
    yes he is still able to poop I will take him to a vet later today was going to only see it yesterday vets was closed. But thought I would post to see if any one had ever come across it before we have a very good avian vet that looks after our africain grey will take him to see her will let you know what she says thanks.

5. buff goose guy

buff goose guy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2014
    Mississippi Y'all
    This could possibly be cancer or some large growth very terrible for his health, be careful with breeding him cancer passes through duck genetics very easily.

6. Madenglishman

Nov 16, 2014
    I have taken him to the vet this evening and they have kept him over night as they are doing an operation it is a Prolapsed pennies.

He might lose it but should be fine afterwards fingers crossed will let you know how it all goes.

He has been over active with the girls during the summer we did notice that sometimes he pennies did not retract that quick after but always went back.

7. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Thank you so much for the update - we see a number of prolapses that look similar on females, and phallus prolapses as well, but I don't recall seeing one so swollen. This will be helpful to others.

I pray all will be well for you and the little guy.

8. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I would never have thought that was what it was never seeing a prolapse looking like that. I'm glad you took him and updated please let us know what they do and how he is doing.

9. Madenglishman

Nov 16, 2014
    Collected him from the vets today opp seems to have gone ok just need to keep him out of the water. he has lost his man hood and they found a large cist fingers crossed he will be ok taking him back in 2 days for a checkup. Vet said its ok to put him back with the others just do not let him on the pond so I have sectioned it off from him.

10. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I'd still be worried about putting him back with the others so soon especially if there is any thing showing on the outside bandages etc.
    Sure glad to hear he is doing good though and surgery is over.
    Keep us updated on him [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by