1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Need some help really bad, maggots ate through my rooster neck!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Atlas LaHaye, Jul 4, 2010.

1. Atlas LaHaye

Atlas LaHaye In the Brooder

Jun 19, 2010
    Okay so I have been posting about my rooster who had botulism he is now SO much better, but I am at war with maggots, I bath him in warm water( he LOVES it), and I thought he was trying to drown himself yesterday as he kept putting his head under water (so I held it up fo him), but tonight I noticed a black cut looking thing on his neck, and I looked, and surprise surprise, it has maggots in it, and I think I see in his neck like his tubes, my question is:

Can I clean his neck under water or will that kill him (I can not get meds at the moment)
    have I lost this war do I have to put him down now?
    I have him in a cage now where flies can't get him.

PLEASE HELP!!
    Thank you.

2. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation 9 Years

Every single maggot must be removed. You may need to use tweezers to accomplish this. Water will not kill them.

3. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

The maggots only eat dead flesh. The wound needs meds. A.S.A.P.

4. BarkerChickens

BarkerChickens Microbrewing Chickenologist

Nov 25, 2007
    High Desert, CA
    I have heard of people using hydrogen peroxide to get the maggots out and then rinsing the wound with water to dilute any residual H2O2. I would look it up first though (via search on BYC) since I haven't done it and don't know all the "rules" of when to apply it and when not to.

5. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

gotta get 'em out. ALL of them. If the rooster is breathing ok, then try putting him in a Betadine (povidone iodine) bath up to & just above the top of the wound. As someone else mentioned, you may need to use tweezers to get them all.

6. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Quote:NOT true.

7. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Use regular strength hydrogen perixide to flush them out. Use an irrigation syringe (the ones with the curved, pointed tip) if possible, and keep flushing until you don't get any more. Pack the wound with SWAT or FLYS OFF ointment. Next day flush with diluted povidone iodine to make sure there are no more maggots. Put him on a strong antibiotic (baytril is best). Keep him inside away from flies until he is all healed.

8. Camelot Farms

Camelot Farms Chickenista

Do you have ANY meds of any kind that you could use?

Peroxide? Neosporin? I have used both on chickens with no ill effects. But, I am not a Vet and dont even play one on TV.

9. Chloe09

Chloe09 In the Brooder

Jun 18, 2009
    Sanford, NC
    Wash the wound with diluted betadine and if you don't have that tonight- wash the area with some type of mild soap. It will not hurt the wound to get wet or to wash the area. Whatever maggots remain pick those out with a pair of tweezers and then reclean the wound. Keep the bird inside. You can pack the wound with neosporin without the caine in it. Leave the wound open with the neosporin on it. Tomorrow recheck the wound and pick up some betadine and was the wound. Remove any remaining maggots. Start the bird on some antiiotics. Continue to keep the bird inside until the wound has healed. Increase the bird's protein to aid with wound healing with some cooked eggs. Give us updates.

10. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

Quote:NOT true.

We'll have to look this one up.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: