Need some Help, Rooster plucked hen being picked on by flock

MartinsPoultry

Songster
Nov 3, 2016
Slanesville, West Virginia
I have an Araucana hen one of two. This one was severely plucked by a rooster when I bought her from the breeder, I know bad shopper. But I fell in-love with her gold head, bright eyes and spunky personality. Shes a fighter. Well the only issue I am seeing is my other hens are picking at her exposed skin to the point she was bleeding. I immediately brought her in the house cleaned wounds and have given her a soak.
But how long will it take for her to regrow everything? She is not happy being in the medical box in the house one bit, crying because she is alone.

What should I do? I hate hearing her so depressed.

I will reply to my own comment with a few pictures of her.

I would put her in a dog crate or cage with food and water of her own, and place it inside the coop with the other birds. She will need to be slowly integrated into the flock for the next couple of weeks. BluKote is good to spray in the bare spots every 2-3 days until her feathers grow back in. Of course, no need to do that until she is out with the other chickens again. Her feathers will either grow back in in a month or so, or it could tske until after her first big molt around 16-18 months old. There are hen saddles that can be used over bare backs if the feathers will be slow growing in.

I have a chicken crib i can put back in the coop if can fix it from the last time it was in there. She is a year old if not older. I have been seeing little feather sprouts but she seems miserable being inside.

Back
Top Bottom