Need some help with a chick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by AshleyW, Nov 4, 2011.

1. AshleyW

AshleyW Out Of The Brooder

Nov 4, 2011
    I bought some silkies last night, they aren't even a day old yet. One of them has a messed up leg. It is holding it close to its body and it is pretty stiff in the upper joint. What kind of splint would be best to use? If anyone needs pictures I can take some and post them later. Thanks.

2. Mama duck 8

Mama duck 8 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Post some pictures, I may be able to help

3. Avalon1984

Avalon1984 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2010
    Muskegon
    I have an older hen with what I believe you describe. No splint helped her but so far she has been leading a quality 2 year long life and lays eggs. She just isn't the fastest. Make sure the other chickens don't start picking on her. [​IMG]

4. AshleyW

Nov 4, 2011
    This is the best one I could get. Avalon I am glad your is doing good now. This one does move around a bit and I help it over to the water so it can get a drink and make sure it don't drown and keep food nearby. I have been keeping a close eye on them to make sure the others don't hurt it.
    [​IMG]

5. Avalon1984

Avalon1984 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2010
    Muskegon
    Quote:That looks like what mine may have. My hen got injured because her previous owner caught her with one of those nets and when I brought her home her leg was all messed up. You didn’t have these chicks on newspaper or anything like that, did you? I have never had a case of splayed leg but it may be a possibility too and a lot of people were able to fix it. I don't know if it exclusively happens on newspaper or not though. By the sound of it the little chickie is at least getting around.

6. AshleyW

Nov 4, 2011
    When I went to get them I had them on a towel and when I got them home I only put newspaper in the bottom of the brooder with a towel over that, the guy I got them from had them on paper towels in a fish tank. I know it isn't splay leg, I have a hen that had that problem when she was tiny and fixed her up and she has no problem at all now. This little silkies other leg is normal and it uses that leg to help scoot around. I have been doing little exercises and giving its little leg a massage and I am really hoping it helps.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by