Need some help with a name....

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by FreedomFarm13, Oct 16, 2016.

1. FreedomFarm13

FreedomFarm13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2015
    Arkansas
    Hey, everybody! So, obviously my name on here is Freedom Farm, but I was recently playing around on google and discovered that there is another Freedom Farm less than 100 miles away from us (!!!) so I've decided, before my business gets up and running, I need to come up with a new name for our farm/homestead/business. I want something that's going to suit our place, maybe a little descriptive, but not too much so. So, here's what you need to know about our little "homestead": it is completely wild at the moment, except for the two places my mom and I have cleared to build our houses. My mom has a little manufactured shed/house thing, and I am in the process of constructing a cob house (for those of you who don't know what this is, a quick google search will give you an idea). We have about 13 acres, and there's a lot of pine, oak, maple, and some cedar trees on the property. It's on a slight incline and has an AMAZING view of a huge ridgeline of mountains just across the valley from us, probably no more than 1/4 mile away, which is gorgeous. There's a lot of briars on the property at the moment (mostly wild blackberry bushes) and we have a railroad track running through the property that is barely operational-- only the local feed mill uses it, and it's only once in a blue moon that they do. Anyway, I've been kind of toying with the idea of using the word Cob in the name...something like Cob Ridge Farm or Cob Ridge Homestead...but that's almost not descriptive enough for my taste. I would love to hear some of your ideas, because I'm really at a loss. And I would really like something not too cliche, like Briar Ridge Farm (although I love that one, lol). I really don't know. Oh, and if it helps, we will be doing a HUGE vegetable garden and orchard with our own bees, we'll be growing our own feed for our animals, and we will be raising chickens, ducks, sheep, pigs, and eventually a couple horses...not to mention the one family milk cow I plan on getting. Please share any ideas you have-- I'd love to hear them!! Thanks, everyone!!!

2. FreedomFarm13

Mar 20, 2015
    Arkansas
    Here's some pictures, to help you guys [​IMG]

When we first bought the property:
    [​IMG]

While we were clearing:
    [​IMG]

The railroad track:
    [​IMG]

The mountains this summer:
    [​IMG]

Those are actually all the pictures I have of it. I wish I had some more from the other side of the property (all these are taken on my mom's side). But hopefully it'll give you an idea of what it's like. Isn't that railroad track cool? We love it. It's great to walk down the tracks and look for "treasures". That's what my kids call it when they find a shiny rock [​IMG]

Anyway, hope this helps!!

3. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

Hi there

Tree Line Ridge [combines the trees, the railway line and the ridge.]

Cob on Rails Homestead

Moo Cob Acres

Briars n’ Cob Ridge
    or Briars n' Cob Range

Happy Cob Harvest or Happy Cob Homestead

Rails & Cob Range

Last edited: Oct 16, 2016
  4. AustralorpsAU

AustralorpsAU Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2016
    Down Under
    Railway Ridge

Cob Rail Valley

Cant really guess anymore. @Teila gave you some awesome

5. FreedomFarm13

Mar 20, 2015
    Arkansas
    OOOOOOH! I like Cob on Rails and Briars 'n Cob...I was actually trying to think of a way to combine Briar and Cob...couldn't come up with anything I thought sounded good. But I like these. Keep 'em coming, guys!! I want lots of options!

ETA: What do you think of Cob 'n Briar? I think I might like it better with them swapped like that...I don't know. I need more ideas!!

Last edited: Oct 16, 2016
  6. Teila

Mill Line Mountain Homestead

7. Teila

Briars n' Cob Mill Line

8. Teila

I kinda like Briar first but hey, it is your place [​IMG]

Also congrats and best wishes on your new venture .. it sounds exciting.

I will see if I can come up with any more .. please let me know when to stop [​IMG] lol

9. Teila

Briar Cob Parcel or Briar Cob Pastures

10. AustralorpsAU

AustralorpsAU Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2016
    Down Under
    Briar Cob Railway Ridge

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by