Need Some Help With Air Sac.. Please..

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Wolf-Kim, Jun 29, 2008.

1. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    I was advised that I could help a little bit by poking an air hole into the air-sac once the chick has pipped it's air sac. So I candled and thought that the chick had pipped it's air sac but one I poked a "air hole" into the air sac, I saw that the chick had not pipped it's air sac.

Have I doomed this chick?

It was hatch day early last night. I didn't draw any blood, I just put a small hole into the very top of the "large" end of the egg.

The chick wasn't moving but I could see blood vessels. Do chicks not move until they pip their air sac?

Thanks. I hope I didn't doom this little thing..

-Kim

2. drafthorse39

drafthorse39 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2007
    Baltimore, MD
    It should be fine, just leave him the incubator to do his thing. Make sure the humidity doesn't get low, with the hole in the shell, the inner membrane may dry up a bit, just keep an eye on it... Good Luck! [​IMG]

Also... Are you sure this chick isn't breech?

3. Wolf-Kim

Jan 25, 2008
    Nah, I don't think he's a breach. I saw a beak. I'll keep the humidity up and just sit on my hands from now on..

Thanks
    -Kim

4. drafthorse39

drafthorse39 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2007
    Baltimore, MD
    Great! I had a few breech babies... NOT FUN! Again good luck. My patience is terrible, so it's super hard for me each and every time!

5. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

What day are they on? If you get into the air sac and the chick is alive on like day 22 or 23, they should be moving around when you bump the egg. I did that once for an egg on day 23 when all others hatched on the spot on day 21. Turned out that after I took the chick out, it had a birth defect with it's brain outside which is why it couldn't pip. Best of luck.

6. Wolf-Kim

Jan 25, 2008
    Quote:Thanks silkiechicken for the reassuring story.. [​IMG] Hopefully this one has it's brain on the insides [​IMG]

It's day after hatch for this little guy.. Most of my hatches in this bator are a little before their "official" hatch because the temps are slightly higher.. Still air, you know..

Thanks everyone. I added a sponge to keep the humidity up and I'll be keeping a close eye on it..

Thanks everyone. You guys are great. I never regret being a part of the BYC family, you all are reassuring and truthful at the same time.

-Kim

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by