1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Need some help with assortment breeds, Please.

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by TnMama, Apr 5, 2012.

1. TnMama

TnMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2010
    West Tn
    Hi,
    we finally got our Rainbow Assortment layers from McMurry. Some like my Cochin and RIR were easy to identify. But there are others I have no clue on.

I'll put up more pics as time allows. I'm a busy chikie Mama these days.Got the bruises to prove it,lol. Thanks in advance.

This is Peggy. her feathers along the bottom are solid white,and feathers on top are black. Her feet are yellow. Right now they are almost 3 weeks old.

[​IMG]

2. JerseyGiantfolk

JerseyGiantfolk Overrun With Chickens

Jan 12, 2012
    That looks like a Ancona chick to me! This is what the hens look like when they are older:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 6, 2012
  3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I agree, looks like an Ancona.

4. TnMama

Jan 25, 2010
    West Tn
    AWE! She is possibly going to be so pretty! Thanks,here's some more. I have fallen in love with lacy chicks.

Maude. She's the same size of my Brahma. She's yellow with some greying feather's around her tail. Sorry if the pics are kinda blurry.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. TnMama

Jan 25, 2010
    West Tn
    These are the "twins" Lacy and Sylvie. I did some googling and think they may be Sliver Laced Hamburgs. They are kind of skittish.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. TnMama

Jan 25, 2010
    West Tn
    Missy. Truly NO CLUE what she might be. She's curious,and docile. She was a grey fuzz ball, but every day her feathers are filling out and are a simple grey.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    That chick is not a brahma. Brahma's have feathered shanks. And it's a cockerel as well.

8. TnMama

Jan 25, 2010
    West Tn
    I meant I have a Brahma. :) This one is a Rooster?!? Oh snap! So I just called my cousin whom I split my order with. She forgot to tell me she put 4 chicks she hatched in the bunch with the hens. So, yes, "she's" probably a leghorn mixed rooster. He will be going into the oven when he gets bigger! lol. THANK YOU for telling me that.

9. TnMama

Jan 25, 2010
    West Tn
    Is she a Light Brahma? I thought she was a Cochin,but not anymore. I've seen Brahma pics. Am I right?
    [​IMG]

10. TnMama

Jan 25, 2010
    West Tn
    Ausltorp? {sic}

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by