Need some help with chicks

em530

Songster
8 Years
Oct 13, 2014
My silkie hen has been sat on her eggs (only 3) and one has pipped today, all the way through she has shuffled her nest about sometimes leaving eggs and letting them get cold which is why she only has 3 now, I have checked her this morning she was sat on them, checked her a couple of hours later and she has shuffled across leaving her eggs not sat on, and one has pipped!! I'm worried that the air getting to the egg will affect the chick hatching?? I have no idea what to do she is sat back on them at the moment but has the damage already been done? Any help appreciated!! Thankyou

I imagine they are fine. Myself would have put all those eggs that rolled out from her back under her throughout the incubating process. Constantly amazeed at the survial design of eggs. She may prove to be a good mom and if this is her first setting then certainly would try her again. If she can't stay on eggs or proves as lacking a mother as she was an incubator then don't use her again. I know right? It's the sole reason many have Silkies- walking incubator and brooder. Some birds like people just are not cut out to parent. Try her again for sure but if she does't get it right second go round I'd bust her of brood habit every time she starts there after. With Silkie that means a lot of time out in a cage. LOL

Thankyou, I did put the eggs back under that had got chilled but when I candled them they were unfortunately not developed
1f625.png
Thankyou for your advice she is one I hatched last year so it's her first time, I will take the wait and see approach for now then, Thankyou very much
1f60a.png

Back
Top Bottom