Need some help with ID'ing bantams...

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Dutchgirl, Apr 24, 2011.

1. Dutchgirl

Dutchgirl Not Dutch!

Apr 1, 2008
    U.S.A.
    On the 16th we purchased 8 bantam chicks from our local TSC. (We only have 7 now, though.) We've got an idea what they are, but I was wondering if any of you might know for sure.

Here are some of the chicks. The red one we believe is a red or buff Cochin, the chipmunk one could be a Dutch, and the light-grayish yellow-headed one we *think* is a Porcelain D'Uccle. The black and gray ones are still unknown... All but little Moccasin, the chipmunk chick, have feathered feet.
    [​IMG]

I can post more pictures if needed. Thanks!

2. akcountrygrrl

akcountrygrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2010
    Nenana, AK
    I don't see beards/muffs on any but the D'Uccle nor do I see any traits that point toward Silkie. So, you do have one D'Uccle. That would leave your two options of Cochin or Brahma for the three. I can't really see the combs or the leg feathering on the those. If they have pea combs (probably looks like an elongated triangular shaped fleshy spot) and not really heavily feathered legs, then they are Brahmas. Single comb (would look like a single small straight serrated edge) and heavier feathered legs would be Cochins.

There are several breeds (particularly in the banties) that have the chipmunk coloring as babies. The type of comb and leg color would help narrow that down.

3. Dutchgirl

Dutchgirl Not Dutch!

Apr 1, 2008
    U.S.A.
    All the chicks have single combs. The chipmunk chick has gray legs... the feather-leg chicks have a fairly large amount of feathers, but I'm not sure. The black chicks are bigger than any of them.

4. lovebabychicks

lovebabychicks Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2011
    The little gray with the orange head I do think is a Porcelain D'Uccle. (I have two) . The chipmunk one looks like my BB Red OEGB.
    The rest I don't know.

5. akcountrygrrl

akcountrygrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2010
    Nenana, AK
    Cochins it is. [​IMG] Well, except for the D'Uccle and the clean legged chick. Still might have to wait a bit on your "chipmunk" to see what it grows into. I would still suspect OEG though.

6. mama24

mama24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    GSO, NC
    I got 2 cochins that look like the black one w/ the white belly center in your pic (maybe the other's the same, just lighting?) at TSC last month. They are both black cochins, and 1 is frizzled. [​IMG]

7. Dutchgirl

Dutchgirl Not Dutch!

Apr 1, 2008
    U.S.A.
    They've grown quite a bit. The red one has an interesting wing pattern... I'll try to get pictures.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by