1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Need some help with one of my baby chicks!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by cherie83, Apr 12, 2016.

1. cherie83

cherie83 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2016
    Texas
    I'm am new to this. I just got 8 baby chicks from a local organic farm. They gave us 6 that seem to all be the same age but one seems really older than the rest and one seems half the size of the other six. I haven't seen him actually eat or drink so I've been giving him ground chicken starter feed mixed with an electrolyte water recipe. He has no problem gulping it up from a dropper. He doesn't seem to have the coordination to cuddle up to his companions so he is always by himself and chirps SO loud a lot. The others kind of trample over him so he gets pushed away from the heat lamp often. When I pick him up he stops chirping and falls asleep cuddled in my hand but my husband thinks it might hurt him to handle him so much. Should I get a separate box and raise it closer to the heat lamp and keep him by himself? How often should I feed him? Any advice? I attached a pic... He's the one on the bottom right by himself.
    [​IMG]

2. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    Did they tell you the breeds?
    It could be a bantam, so would be smaller than the others.
    Holding it won't hurt.

If others are trampling him, I'd pull a friend and put 2 in a brooder of their own, at least for a bit, where they can still see the others so you can easily integrate again later. If his pal still runs over him, then just him in a box where he can see the others and a stuffed animal he can cuddle up with.

3. cherie83

Apr 12, 2016
    Texas
    Yes, he and the darker ones are a buff Orpington barred rock cross and the others are Rhode Island reds.

I'd like to put a friend in but the others are all so much more coordinated and bigger than him. I could give it a try though.

4. cherie83

Apr 12, 2016
    Texas
    The dark ones are barred rock/ buff Orpington cross and the other 4 are Rhode Island reds.

I'd like to put a friend in with him but they are SO much more coordinated and larger than him. I could try though.

5. cherie83

Apr 12, 2016
    Texas
    Yes, they are barred rock/ buff Orpington crosses and the lighter ones are Rhode Island reds.

The others just seem so much bigger and coordinated, I don't know if a friend would have it. I could try though.

Thanks for the help!

6. grace4261

grace4261 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 4, 2016
    Fredericksburg VA
    This chick may have just hatched later than the others. I would separate him until he gets stronger. I have had to do this with my late hatchers. Usually after a day I can put them back in with the others.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by