Need some help with one of my chicks.

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Sumatra503, Nov 5, 2010.

1. Sumatra503

Sumatra503 Kozy Orchard Farms

Sep 24, 2010
    One of the chicks has a curled toe on each foot. It hatched that way. It has been fine until reccently. It has spent most of the day running franticlly back and forth and chirping loudly. It is walking fine, but not as well as the others. It also doesn't seem as interested in food as the others.

I'm not sure what's wrong and need some help.

2. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    curled toes are better than all the toes curled in (usually a turning issue or humidity issue). What you can do is have more food and water available so the handicapped baby is able to get to the food and water and not get trampled in the process. If it's acting normal just monitor it and make sure it is eating and drinking. That's all you really can do. I hope he gets better! [​IMG]

3. Sumatra503

Sep 24, 2010
    It's not acting normal is the thing. It is running frantically around and chirping loudly nonstop. It's wings are drooping and it is not acting like it should be. If it were acting normal I wouldn't have posted.

4. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    Are the others pecking him? Wings drooping...hmmm...the wings are drooping probably to keep him balanced. I would separate him then and monitor. I misread your post and I apologize.

5. Sumatra503

Sep 24, 2010
    I have no way to separate him, but the others are leaving him alone. They also aren't crowding him from the food either he just doesn't eat.

6. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    Have you tried mixing the crumbles with water and dipping his beak in it?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by