Need some help with rescued chick - foot/leg swollen & purple

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ZooMummzy, Feb 23, 2011.

1. ZooMummzy

ZooMummzy Queen of the Zoo

Mar 31, 2008
    Philomath, Oregon
    I am my feed store's designated person to take their injured/sick/special need chicks and I just picked this one up. Obviously, the leg was injured during shipping (maybe hatching?) and then the other chicks picked on it and/or the little one scraped it up trying to get around. She stands on it fine and gets around pretty well. It doesn't appear to be a slipped tendon, but I don't want to mess with it too much right now. I don't think it's broken but ??? It looks like the circulation was caught off to it. It definitely is not out to the side like a splayed leg - I've had several of those. She eats and drinks but seems to be in pain - of course. What can I do? Please do not suggest culling - this isn't even an option so I don't want to discuss it. I am going to give her some polyvisol vitamins as soon as she eats some more and gets warmed up from the ride home. Any suggestions you can give me would be appreciated also what I should look for as far as warning signs for injuries such as this. Thanks!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. chicks4kids

chicks4kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    Wow, the poor little thing. Sounds like you're doing all that you can as of right now. That second pic looks like it really got scraped up bad...hopefully the swelling and discoloration will go down in a few days. If it doesn't, you may have to amputate (cut off the foot) at the joint, but hopefully you won't need to. I looks to me like he may have just twisted it pretty bad and just needs some TLC.

Good luck!

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I know it's tiny but I was wondering if you could soak it's little foot and leg in some warm epson salt water? maybe tomorrow after it's gotten settled in of course.. also I know you can baby aspirin to chickens but not sure if you could one so tiny, I hope it makes it and thank goodness for people like you that give them a second chance..

4. ZooMummzy

Mar 31, 2008
    Philomath, Oregon
    Thank you both! I was wondering about the baby aspirin too but have never used it on a chicken at all so not really sure. I feel so bad for it, its ears itch and it can't scratch it [​IMG] I put a bootie on the other foot since I noticed the toes are curling in. It reminds me of my Serama's foot when it was just a couple days old. It got tangled in an ostrich feather over night and by the time I found it in the morning the foot had turned the same color. Within a couple days it was normal again. Right now its sleeping. I'm sure it hasn't got much rest with all the others picking at it for days. We named her Sonya.

5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    we'll be waiting to hear how the little one is doing in the next few days. [​IMG]

6. ZooMummzy

Mar 31, 2008
    Philomath, Oregon
    Ugh, the leg is turning a better color though the toes are still very dark. Unfortunately, I don't think she will ever be able to use it but that really is not the worst of it tonight - she has stopped eating. I have been force feeding her. She will drink water but refuses to eat. I am not giving up hope but it never seems to go well when they stop eating.

7. vickie2133

vickie2133 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2009
    Corbin
    crossing my fingers for this little chick. Did you get the meds down it any?

8. ZooMummzy

Mar 31, 2008
    Philomath, Oregon
    Thank you. The only thing I'm giving her is vitamins. I'm wondering if her leg isn't hurting a lot which is why she isn't eating. I really don't have anything to give her for it....not that I would know what to give her. She has a fuzzy sock to lean against and I've been trying to decide if the paper towels she is on is ok or if shavings would be softer? She walks on the joint of her bad leg which cannot feel good [​IMG] Surprisingly, her spirits are good. She comes over to me when I call her name or she hears my voice.

9. ZooMummzy

Mar 31, 2008
    Philomath, Oregon
    This is Sonya and her friend Melinda. I ran out today in the snow to get her because Sonya would not stop crying. I figured she was lonely and maybe having another chick would help her want to eat. It has quieted her down but she still won't eat like she was last night. I am so baffled.

[​IMG]

10. Desert Rooster

Desert Rooster El Gallo Del Desierto

Sep 4, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca
    hope that little chick gets better [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by