1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Need some help with this girl

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by AsbillHomestead, Jun 3, 2016.

1. AsbillHomestead

AsbillHomestead Just Hatched

May 24, 2016
    Missouri
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My wife and i bought 20 australorp chicks back in april. We got home and noticed there were 4 crosses in the mix. We were not upset though because they were great looking crosses. We asked her what she had on her farm, and she said 1 australorp roo and the hens were australorp hens, faverolle hens, and 1/2 aracauna 1/2 cochin hens. Soooooo, what do you guys think?

2. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

If it has five toes on one or both feet, it's offspring of the Faverolles. If not, it's offspring of the Easter Egger/Cochin hens. ("Araucanas" are very rare and most likely your friend means mislabeled Easter Eggers).

3. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Is it rumpless, or is that just the picture?

4. AsbillHomestead

May 24, 2016
    Missouri
    Thank you QueenMisha! After reading your comment, i dug a little deeper and i believe you're absolutely right. I just read an article titled, "Araucana Americana Easter Egger Olive Egger, What's the difference" great read.

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    agree with Queen Misha

6. ChickNanny13

ChickNanny13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2013
    Hilo, HI

howfunkyisurchicken asked a very good question, is it "rumpless" which it looks like in the lower picture. If it is, it's part Araucana, they are rumpless.

7. ChickNanny13

Jun 23, 2013
    Hilo, HI
    Forgot to add, very interesting looking bird! Glad you kept it and hope to see more pictures as they develop.

8. AsbillHomestead

May 24, 2016
    Missouri
    [​IMG]

Here she is! :)

1 person likes this.
  9. ChickNanny13

Jun 23, 2013
    Hilo, HI
    Does she have a tail? She looks "rumpless" = no tail You'll be glad you kept HER, beautiful pullet

10. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    From that angle she appears to have a tail, so not rumpless. She also appears to be a HE. Those bright red patches throughout the feathers are a male trait.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by