1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Need some help with this Rooster

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by OldMcJohnny, May 10, 2016.

1. OldMcJohnny

OldMcJohnny Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2016
    Phoenix area, AZ
    I rescued this Rooster from a residential site that my company manages. If he didn't leave they were going to destroy him and I couldn't bear to see him killed. I'm trying to figure out what he is, but he's tricky. At first I thought he was an Old English Game Fowl, but he has a huge comb and waddle. Then I thought he might be a Red JungleFowl, but his comb isn't straight or neat like theirs. I thought he might be a Brown Leghorn, but he doesn't have the white marks on the cheeks and his comb is different. He's currently quarantined from my other birds while I assess his overall health. But I'm also a little leery of introducing him to the coop because I have another rooster, a Barred Rock hybrid, and I want to know what his temperament is like. I tried to get several views of him to help see his features better. Any help would be appreciated.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    He is a game or at least a game cross. He has the comb and wattles because he has not been dubbed. He will most likely be aggressive towards your other rooster.

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I love the last photo where he is cocking his head. They sure look different without dubbing but, I bet he's glad he didn't have to suffer through that. I don't think I would ever put him with or neat another rooster.

4. OldMcJohnny

Apr 21, 2016
    Phoenix area, AZ
    That last photo is one of my favorites. I took a selfie with him last night, it was pretty funny. I'm not going to be dubbing him. We don't have frostbite in Phoenix and I'm not going to cut him up just to show him. He's a lot older than the other roo (the barred rock is about 3 mos and he's at least a year), so he would establish dominance quickly. I just don't want him to kill or injure the other one.

5. OldMcJohnny

Apr 21, 2016
    Phoenix area, AZ
    We figured it out. A local vet that specializes in poultry was nearby. He's an American Game Fowl.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by