1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Need some help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by tnorm, Apr 2, 2016.

1. tnorm

tnorm New Egg

Apr 2, 2016
    Hi everyone! I am new to raising chickens and about four weeks ago I got 9 chicks. I know two of the nine are silkies and I am having a problem with one of them. The other is growing great, getting all of its feathers and actually growing but this one not so much. It is a lot smaller than all the other chicks, not growing feathers, and has something crusty around its skin. I have attached a picture to show what it looks like any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you! [​IMG]

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Sits With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Are those wounds? Is it being pecked by the others? I haven't seen anything like that. Have you checked it for mites or lice?

Last edited: Apr 2, 2016
  3. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    That looks to be some sort of esoteric lesions perhaps caused by the canker virus. I'm sure not any kind of vet, but there are some on the Emergencies forum, so I asked the mods to move your thread there so you can get some proper help.

You have a much better chance of having someone recognize what those crusts are and be able to help than here on this forum.

Good luck, and I'm going to be following this.

4. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    if you find out what it is over in the other forum, please let us know. I wish I could zoom the picture but it won't allow it. Have you checked her for mites? do you notice any white cotton like things at the end of her feather shafts? it ALMOST looks like a severe infestation of northern foul mites but I can't be sure. see what others say. where did you get the chicks from??

5. tnorm

tnorm New Egg

Apr 2, 2016
    I have checked for mites and life and didn't see anything. They other chicks don't bother it, they all get along well. Didn't notice any cotton like things at the end of the feather shafts. I bought all of the chicks and Tractor Supply. I tried to zoom the picture in more for you, hope that helps. [​IMG]

6. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Where on the body is this located? Back, belly, breast?

Have you tried soaking her to see if any of the "gunk" will loosen and come off?
    It may take several soakings to get it loosened up.
    Don't pull the stuff, but you may be able to use an old soft toothbrush to gently scrub after a good long soaking.

7. tnorm

tnorm New Egg

Apr 2, 2016
    It's all over her body. I tried soaking one spot with warm water and it did loosen up a little. should I try using the Vetericyn and see if that helps or just warm water?

8. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    For washing I would just use some warm water - if you feel like it needs some type of "detergent" you could try something mild like baby shampoo. After she is dried you can put some Vetericyn on the skin, especially if after washing any area looks raw.
    Again, it may be a slow process to see exactly what it is and multiple soakings to get the "gunk" off.

9. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
  10. tnorm

tnorm New Egg

Apr 2, 2016
    Thank you so much for the help! Going to try that and see what happens!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by