Need some help

mycoopedfam

In the Brooder
Apr 23, 2016
Maryland
We found one of our birds with a raw bloody spot a few days ago. Then it seemed to be doing better. Mow its bigger and fresh. Is this feather plucking or something else?

I checked her neck for bugs, I dont see anything on her. None of the other 5 have anything. As far as I know they are all hens, but they are still young. Shes acting normal otherwise.

Are you sure you don't have a rooster?
Looks like treading.
Otherwise it could be feather picking/plucking.

Treat her wounds with vetericyn spray or you can put a little plain neosporin on the raw areas. You may want to get a chicken saddle to cover the bare areas until she molts and the feathers grow back in. Keep watch for any signs of infection, pus, odors, oozing.

Feather picking is commonly due to overcrowding, boredom or lack of protein in the diet (sometimes you just have a real meanie on your hands too).

Observe the interactions between flock members and see if you can identify who is the offender, you may need to separate them for several days to see if the behavior can be corrected.

Are you sure you don't have a rooster?
Looks like treading.
Otherwise it could be feather picking/plucking.

Treat her wounds with vetericyn spray or you can put a little plain neosporin on the raw areas. You may want to get a chicken saddle to cover the bare areas until she molts and the feathers grow back in. Keep watch for any signs of infection, pus, odors, oozing.

Feather picking is commonly due to overcrowding, boredom or lack of protein in the diet (sometimes you just have a real meanie on your hands too).

Observe the interactions between flock members and see if you can identify who is the offender, you may need to separate them for several days to see if the behavior can be corrected.

Thank you! I don't know if I have a rooster yet or not unfortunately. All of them are only about 11 weeks old right now. Thank you for your advice! It seems to be healing over alright (no infection or anything and there hasn't been another incident. We changed things around in their "temp" coop to see if that would distract them a bit. Someone was going to build me a coop, but it hasn't panned out so I went ahead and ordered one for them. It will be in next week.

Thanks again :)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom