Need some help

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by MartinsPoultry, Mar 13, 2017.

1. MartinsPoultry

MartinsPoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a chicken who I put in with my flock three days ago after having her quarantined for over a month and then in a see no touch introduction box and after she was in there for three weeks I let her in with the flock three days go by and pecking order seemed to be settling until this morning I saw her cowering behind a cinder block i use to prop up a five gallon water tank for them and saw she was a bloody mess. My chickens were even laying with her last night. Could it have been one of my turkeys?
    I keep them together and have had no issues with turkeys and smaller birds like this before.

She is in the house in a cardboard box with food, water and a lamp over her. I gave her an epsom salt bath, cleaned the wounds and got all the blood clots out of her white downy. She was scheduled for a rehoming due to how long it was taking my flock to accept her, and they know something I clearly dont. And with this I cannot rehome her until she heals.

What else can I do?

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    I'm sorry you're having trouble. There's no way to know if the attack was from the turkey or not since you didn't see it happen.

How old is she?

It sounds like you are treating the wounds well, just watch for any sign of infection like pus, redness/swelling and odors coming from the wound.

Offer her some poultry vitamins and see that she is eating/drinking well.

3. MartinsPoultry

She is eating and drinking fine, just being tender on legs and her right wing is badly plucked.
    I honestly don't think my chickens did anything to her other then peck her but this is far deeper than what they can do. They are more relaxed unlike my uptight guineas.

My guess around 2 years old.

4. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    It's possible the turkey attacked her, I don't know much about their behavior. If she was cornered several hens can do quite a bit of damage.

Do the best you can treating her wounds. Hopefully she will heal quickly and she can go to her new home soon.

5. MartinsPoultry

This is her on sunday evening after i fed them.
    [​IMG]

And this was monday morning.
    [​IMG]
    Before i turned her lamp off i treated the wounds again, this time some extra triple antibiotic ointment.

6. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Poor thing. I wander if the turkey tried to mate her[​IMG]

7. MartinsPoultry

That was another thought i had. I own four gobblers and four turkey hens.

Everyone in the barn
    4 chicken hens
    7 guinea fowl (2 male,5 female)
    8 turkeys (4 male, 4 female)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by