Need some help

Scoot58

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 24, 2009
Carver MA
We found 2 ducks wondering the neighborhood last night. We put them in the chicken pen to keep them safe. I am wondering what they need different from the chickens. What do they eat? Do they need a pool? Will they go into the chicken coop? They didn't last night. They just huddled together under the coop.

Thanks

If they are wild ducks, then they are probably this year's hatch. They sometimes land in strange places when they are getting used to flying and finding their way around. (If they are migratory ducks, they might be resting on the way to somewhere.)

I suggest you let them leave of their own accord and not keep them penned in at all, or feed them. They will find their way to a pond by themselves and be fine. You cannot really domesticate already wild ducks, they will bring potentially harmful bacteria, parasites or disease to your chickens, and will not be friendly or happy being confined.

Why don't you contact your local animal rescue if you need some help or advice?

If you are not sure whether they might be domestic ducks that have escaped from somewhere, then post a pic and we can help you identify the breed.

Could you describe them or post pictures? The could be domestic drop-offs.

If they are domestic, a few differences between them and chickens are that they will need water deep enough to wash their faces in . I use a couple of concrete mixing pans with about five or six inches of water. They make a splashy mess around water, so I have heard that people with chickens elevate the chicken water to keep it cleaner.

Once grown, they can eat pretty much what chickens eat.

Some don't like sleeping in a coop, but they do need to be kept safe from predators - they are ground-nesting birds.

Back
Top Bottom