Need some help!!!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by DUCKGIRL89, Nov 7, 2011.

1. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    So I was on craigslist and saw a ad for some mix bred chicks for 50¢ a peice. But im getting some eggs to hatch soon. If I get two of these chicks, will they be mean to the newborns? Or the ducklings that will be hatching? Should I put them in a differnt brooder? Thanks! (i only want two....)

2. CCourson05

CCourson05 Popping like kettle corn...

Jan 5, 2011
    Hickory Flat, MS
    The odds of you having to work to integrate the two groups would be A LOT higher, but that is not to say it is impossible. It will just be hard and you may have to keep them separate until they are bigger. Who knows?! All my birds have been different. I had one 3.5 week old chicken that I put in with 5 day olds. The 5 day olds pestered the poor thing to death. He would just fly up and sit on the side of the brooder where they couldn't reach him. Finally, he learned he could step on them until they left him alone. It was so backwards. [​IMG]

3. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Chicks integrate better than older birds.

4. Evelle

Evelle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    North Idaho
    yeah chicks ARE WAY easyer [​IMG]
    id say youll be safe just keep an eye on them for the first few days make sure they are bulling the others to much (pecking order and all)
    [​IMG]
    i dont know if you can tell but there are 3 differant age groups in here
    [​IMG]
    aww i just found this this was when i had all my babys together i was cleaning the brooder and put them in a box HAHAHAHA
    it only took 2 mins to clean so they werent suffering to long [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 7, 2011
  5. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    I think babies are babies and if you put the food down in 4 place that the pressure will be off to fight. The more bowls the better. They will find there own favorite partner. The teddy bear might be the favorite don't doubt it.

6. Muggsmagee

Muggsmagee Menagerie Mama

Dec 15, 2009
    Central NY
    I heeded advice long ago not to introduce newly hatched chicks to other chicks that are more than 10 days older. It works. The duckling will do just fine with the chickens...but I'm sure you know how messy they are...and soaking wet chickens are miserable. [​IMG] I've brooded both together, but afraid to say it was a short lived situation! The ducks were given their own brooder within a week. If you only have one or 2 ducklings (these are ones soon to be hatching?), I think you will be just fine putting them with your chicks.

Best of luck and post some pics!

7. DUCKGIRL89

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    Thanks guys! Such awesome advice! We are going to get two chicks on thursday! The ducks should hatch that same day [​IMG] I will be giving tue ducklings their ownbrooder, but when they all go outside, they will all be going in the same coop. Lol...

8. CCourson05

CCourson05 Popping like kettle corn...

Jan 5, 2011
    Hickory Flat, MS
    Oh. I was under the impression that the eggs would hatch 28 days after the ones you bought... I apologize. [​IMG]

9. DUCKGIRL89

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    Quote:No, no problem. Yeah, the ducky eggs hatch soon! Im excited! I want to candle them, but they are inlockdown, so I cant [​IMG] [​IMG] lol! Im hopeing they hatch this week!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by