Need some help,

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Cornishcross, Dec 13, 2011.

1. Cornishcross

Cornishcross Out Of The Brooder

Dec 11, 2011
    Hey everyone, we own a farm about 45 minutes from my house, and it hasnt been in operation in years, well i was wondering if i built good enough coop, away from predators, and have all the heat lamps and everything if it would be ok to leave them for 2 days at a time as long as they have food and water, becuase im still in school and it would be hard to get there everyday

2. BobwhiteQuailLover

BobwhiteQuailLover Country Girl[IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.

Sep 25, 2010
    Wisconsin
    You could do that, but they will be better off with daily care.
    I have left them with food and water for 1 week. In the winter they will drink JUST snow, it works perfect!
    Oh and depending on the breed they don't need a heat lamp. [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 13, 2011
  3. Cornishcross

Cornishcross Out Of The Brooder

Dec 11, 2011
    Ok thank you, im planning on keep them at the house for 2 or 3 weeks then moving them up to the main farm, thank you, you think that would be ok with pheasents and other birds, such as turkey and chickens?

4. BobwhiteQuailLover

Sep 25, 2010
    Wisconsin
    Ok. I don't know much about chickens, but it is fine with gamebirds.
    If they have access to snow, they can just eat that for their wanter. [​IMG]

5. thekid

thekid Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Do not keep any type of gamebird with chickens, many different diseases

6. BobwhiteQuailLover

Sep 25, 2010
    Wisconsin
    Oh wait I don't get what he said.
    Do NOT keep gamebirds with chickens!!

7. thekid

Quote:Pretty much the only breed that doesn't need a heat lamp are bob whites, you can start out with them if you do your homework on them. And trust me when I say do your homework on bobs do it on bobs! Not school [​IMG]

8. BobwhiteQuailLover

Sep 25, 2010
    Wisconsin
    Haha, well my coturnix don't need one soo..

9. bfrancis

bfrancis Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2010
    Okmulgee Co, Oklahoma
    Quote:Pretty much the only breed that doesn't need a heat lamp are bob whites, you can start out with them if you do your homework on them. And trust me when I say do your homework on bobs do it on bobs! Not school [​IMG]

Kid, I have several types of quail in an open air building...it does get into the teens here with a negative windchill factor...and none of them need a heat lamp. Been doing it for years.

Cornishcross If you don't have any more time than every few days to check on animals in YOUR care...get a fish.

10. thekid

Kid, I have several types of quail in an open air building...it does get into the teens here with a negative windchill factor...and none of them need a heat lamp. Been doing it for years.

Cornishcross If you don't have any more time than every few days to check on animals in YOUR care...get a fish.

How warm does it get in the day, you could live in one of those desert type things where it's 110 in the day and 10 at night

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by