Need some help

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Garbear, Mar 19, 2013.

1. Garbear

Garbear New Egg

Aug 28, 2011
    I ordered and recieved 25 pullets. We got the speckle sussex. I have lost 8 chicks in 24 hrs. I ordered them from a local hardware store and they got them from Murry Mcmurry hatchery. I am at a loss and what to do. They are in a brooder in my home office so no drafts. They have a heat lamp and plenty of fresh water and feed. The chicks all looked healthy and active. The ones that have died all have done the same thing. lay with their legs strechted behind them then slowly get weak and die. I have seperated them from the other chicks. I have cradled them in my hand after getting them to drink water but they will not eat. It is sad because even then all they do is die cradled in my hands.

Garbear

2. missnu01

missnu01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2012
    I dont' know what it could be, but it scares the beejeezus out of me...I have to just sit and stare at my chicks 100 times a day and make sure they are all moving and carrying on and what not. I'm afraid if I stop watching something awful will happen.

3. missnu01

missnu01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2012
    How are their poops? How many chicks in how much space? What are you using for your lights and what is your brooder? Have you given them any vitamins in their water? Do you have any adult chickens on your property, or were these the first? What have you fed them? Chick starter I assume, and any treats? What are you using for bedding?

4. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

I would treat them all with Corid immediately. Coccidiosis is very, very common and when I see chicks who previously looked fine suddenly become lethargic and stop eating/drinking that is the first thing I treat for. Cocci kills fast so it's best to treat when you see those symptoms. If you wait to see if maybe it's something else you can loose a lot of chicks and still not know. It does no harm to treat for cocci and you may very well save a bunch of chicks.

Corid can be found in most feed stores, it's in the cattle section, labeled Corid 20%, for calves. Also comes in liquid and some stores stock the liquid in the poultry section, doesn't matter if you use liquid or powder.

Dose for powder is 1/2 teaspoon per gallon of water for 5 to 7 days, make it up fresh every day. I don't remember the dose for the liquid, if you do a search on this forum you'll turn up that info.

5. Garbear

Garbear New Egg

Aug 28, 2011
    Long time getting back. We lost 13 out of 25. Dang kids cat helped out with eating 6 more. I have 6 that are plumed out and in the coop. The place we bought the first batch credited me the 13 birds. We ordered 20 more hens and 5 roos. We got the second batch the first part of the May. I lost one of the hens a few days ago but other then that they are doing great. I talked to my friend who ordered them and he thinks the hatchery sent them out and the birds sat over the weekend. The second batch we ordered he ordered from a hatchery in NM which much closer then the hatchery back east. Loosing one bird out of 20 hens something I can live with. Well I am excited that they have done so well. Thanks for all the help.
    The 6 out in the coop escape and follow my kids around the yard. We leave the gate open and they pile back in at dark. I need to finish the other coop which is much bigger and better built.
    Garbear

6. 3riverschick

3riverschick Poultry Lit Chaser

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by