Need some hope!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by frillydishes, Aug 30, 2014.

1. frillydishes

frillydishes Out Of The Brooder

Aug 28, 2014
    Cedar Creek, TX
    I've just set 20 eggs 3 days ago in the bator and I'm really starting to think all but one may not be viable. I candled when I set them in the first day then again today, which is technically day 4. Day 1 I had one that was clearly 3 days ahead of the rest and now there's a blurry red ring all the way around it but I'm still seeing some good veins. I've read several times around here to wait till 7-10 days before tossing them in hopes of getting some clarity. I have 1 other blood ring, but that one too still had some really good looking veins and it doesn't look like the pictures I'm seeing around here. Most of the rest are clear as far as I can tell but the shells are really thick so I'm waiting on those too.

So my question is, can I keep adding eggs over this next 4-6 days or so to the incubator? And, does candling do any damage, am I okay to candle every 3-4 days till I'm sure I've culled out the duds?

2. Twistedfeather

Twistedfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2014
    Oregon
    Candling is an okay thing to do if needed. Just remember to be really fragile with your eggs. Go into a dark room to see what is needed to be seen. When an embryo dyes it's normally really dark. I believe that red rings are an okay thing for eggs because it means that they're fertile. The eye is the first thing to develop around that weeks mark. But only check your fertile eggs every once in a while like when the major parts develop and by the 18th day do not touch the birds in risk of failing to hatch

3. frillydishes

Aug 28, 2014
    Cedar Creek, TX
    Thanks TwistedFeather! Do you know if I need to worry about holding the egg a certain way, does rotating it do any damage?

4. Twistedfeather

Twistedfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2014
    Oregon
    Turning an egg is a must for an egg so the embryo does not stick to the shell of the egg. Some incubators are automatically turning incubators. I used a Brinsea when I hatched out some Java's. If you don't have automatic turning do the tic tac toe method where you gently use a marker to put an X on one side and O on the other that way you can turn it properly. When you have a broody hen it's a natural behavior for her to turn the eggs.

5. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    If you set the eggs three days ago (Wed.?) Then today is only day 3. The first 24 hours is Day 1 - Thursday. Friday would have been Day 2, etc. Three days is really too early to be candling and seeing any clear development. I would wait until at least Wed. to candle again. Remember that the more you handle your eggs, the greater the chance of accidentally dropping one or transferring bacteria from your hands to the eggs, reducing their chances of hatching.

6. frillydishes

Aug 28, 2014
    Cedar Creek, TX
    That's good to know, thanks!! What do you think about adding eggs at his point? I get at least 6 a day from my ladies and by incubator will hold 40, it's half full and I'd really like another dozen in there if possible.

7. chickenz500

chickenz500 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 30, 2014
    Water candling works to see if the eggs are alive. Place the eggs in a cup of water and let them settle. If after a few seconds, they are wiggling then they are alive.

8. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    I think water candling is used as a last resort, when eggs are past due to hatch. Maybe not, but I can't see any benefit in sticking your eggs in water, taking the chance of that water absorbing in through the shell, possibly causing future problems with the chick. My own personal opinion. Also, the eggs won't be wiggling within the first few days of incubation. They are only veins at that point.

OP, I would not add more eggs at this point, but there again, that's personal preference. I don't like having a staggered hatch. You'll have hatch dates several days apart. There are those who do it all the time, and it works for them. Do a search on "staggered hatches" and you'll get some good information on how to do that. I usually save up all the eggs I want to incubate and start them all on the same day. One thing you could do, if you don't think your eggs are viable after your next candling, is toss them and start all over with a fresh bunch of eggs. Start setting them aside now so you'll have as many as you want.

Here are some good candling pictures to give you an idea of what to look for: https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/candling-pics-progression-through-incubation-of-chicken-eggs

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by