Need some ideas, and pictures please, for nipple drinker set ups.

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Don in SC, Aug 16, 2011.

1. Don in SC

Don in SC Out Of The Brooder

Aug 9, 2011
    Mt. Rest
    I got my nipple drinker things today. I was going just do the 5 gal bucket but there is a place near by that sells food containers. Some people use them to catch rain and water thier gardens. I was thing maybe a 55 gal palstic drum to catch the rain and black pvc pipe. I could run the pipe to the coop and the chicken run and have drinkers at several locations. I've got plenty of black drain pipe in 3 inch dia. I'd love to see some pictures of other peoples set ups. I'm still in the planning stage so I'm open to any and all ideas. The reason for the 55 gal drum and pipe is I could have the drum outside the pen and fill it with a garden hose when it's low. I can get the drums in black as well and thier only 8 bucks. Going black would help to keep the alge down other wise I'd be temped to use the large square tanks but they are white. Anyway I'd love to see some pictures of your set ups. Donald

2. amberflea

amberflea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2010
    Central WI
    I use the 5 gal bucket with 3 nipples, I did have a pvc pipe attached to a bucket with 5 nipples, but it ended up being a pain to clean the buckets and no way to clean the pvc pipe. So went with just buckets, easy to clean and refill.

3. fireguy56

fireguy56 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2010
    Slidell, Louisiana
    Hi, I was gonna use a bucket method with nipples, then a buddy in Arkansas turned me onto 50 feet of commercial chicken nipples. I was looking at a similar set up at QC supply for 99.00 dollars. My girls took to the nipples right away after showing them how they work. Now they are all using them. The one I have has a by pass valve on one end....you just open valve about once a week and flush it out...works great. My grandson in Atlanta uses the nipples in bottom of bucket and only thing with that is ya still gotta clean the bucket from time to time and of course fill it. Just my thoughts...good luck.

[​IMG]

4. Don in SC

Aug 9, 2011
    Mt. Rest
    Hi amber and fireguy. fireguy I think I saw a picture of you set up before and it's one of the reasons I was thinking of something other than a bucket and nipple set up. I really like the looks of your water system. Thanks guys for the replies and there is still room for any more if some one wants to post some pictures.

5. DanEP

DanEP Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    Cadiz Ky
    The five gallon bucket works fine and if you live where it gets cold in the winter you can use a heater in the bucket to keep the water from freezing. with the pipe set up it will freeze in the winter.
    I don't think i'd go with the black pipe or barrrel, black absorbs heat and you could be giving your girls some very hot water to drink. Ever take a drink out of a hose thats been in the sun?

6. Don in SC

Aug 9, 2011
    Mt. Rest
    I'm very upset. Everyone says it take only ten minutes to their chickens to figure out how to use the nipple drinkers. Well mine were using the first one I hung up before I could hang the second one. Took less than five minutes, Hahaha. Smart birds. I went with the five gal bucket for now. Ive still got 12 of the nipple things to play with so maybe I'll do a water pipe thing after I get some fitting and glue. I thought I had everything I needed but as always there were a few items I could not find. Anyway birds took to the nipple like a duck to a June bug. Thanks guys and have a great week.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by