need some ideas for winter watering methods

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by shend, Oct 6, 2011.

1. shend

shend Out Of The Brooder

Sep 16, 2010
    west michigan
    This is my first year raising hens. I'm in west Michigan and it gets cold here. Need some ideas on watering during the sinter months.

My four girls are still using the plastic waterer I had when they were young and I fill a bucket daily for the run, but that's not gonna work this winter.

I need some suggestions.

2. bufforp89

bufforp89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Chenango Forks NY
    a heated waterer will work since you only have 4..

3. shend

shend Out Of The Brooder

Sep 16, 2010
    west michigan
    Thanks, was just reading ideas in another post (should have looked first!) I have an aquarium heater but was worried about the cord. Will or can they damage it? T

The heated large dog bowl with the 1 gal ice cream container sounded the easiest.

I have a pond de-icer as well that I didn't even consider. It works great in my 6 x 12 pond.

I do appreciate this forum!

4. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Heated dog dish, with one gallon ice cream bucket. Simple. Efficient. Have a couple. Carry a new one out and swap. No messing with anything outdoors in the cold, plus the heated dog dish regulates itself, turn itself on and off as required. Simple is best, and cheap too.

5. Fowel Frenzy

Fowel Frenzy Out Of The Brooder

May 24, 2011
    LARAMIE, WYOMING
    see below

Last edited: Oct 6, 2011
  6. Fowel Frenzy

Fowel Frenzy Out Of The Brooder

May 24, 2011
    LARAMIE, WYOMING
    I just purchased, today, 2- 1 gallon heated bowl with protected cord, regulated automatic heat etc from petsupplies.com for $11.04 each & it was under $6 to ship it. [​IMG]:weee:love

7. Impress

Impress Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Gray, TN
    I don't have electricity in my coop, so I just have 2 bowls, I grab the frozen bowl in the morning and switch it for one full of warm water, and set the frozen one in my laundry room. It thaws by the next day and I can take it out and switch it for the newly frozen one.

8. patti'speeps

patti'speeps Out Of The Brooder

Oct 27, 2010
    Greensburg, Indiana
    I would love to know if anyone has plans for a homemade solar waterer for the winter time. Am trying to cut down on electric bill this winter. [​IMG]

9. kittycooks

kittycooks Chillin' With My Peeps

I agree with Fred's Hens. A dog watering bowl works great here in Minnesota even with weeks of sub-zero temps. I like the thermostat for auto-shut off during temperate weather. I use two buckets - one to bring fresh water and one to dump the dirty. Check here for more winterizing ideas .

[​IMG][/img]

Elevate the heated dish to keep it cleaner.

[​IMG][/img]

Carry your food and supplies out in the dirty water bucket. Keep a designated clean water bucket for best hygiene.

10. zengrrl

zengrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    Oakland County, MI
    I'm in SE Michigan and was just giving thought to this as well. All my lathces and hooks are going to be difficult enough with frozen fingers, and frozen water!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by