Need some ideas on Assorted Chickens for kids coop

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Joe.G, Feb 11, 2012.

1. Joe.G

Joe.G Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2011
    Eastern NY
    Hi, I am going to get Twelve Birds, I want two Guinea Hens 1 Rooster and 9 Chickens I was thinking some Rhode Island Reds and some Barred Rocks, how does this sound?

2. dsfrango

dsfrango Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2011
    Stafford Springs
    Those are great hardy production birds to start with. If your looking for good eggs then you will get them. Now, suggestions I can make....If theyre for the kids maybe get some Easter egger chickens(Ameracauna/Aracauna mix) They lay blue or green eggs which the kids might find very interesting and they have great personalities. If not primarily for eggs then maybe you could mix in a couple bantams like D'uccles or Silkies which are extremely popular and fluffy soft:) There are sooooo many breeds to choose from. Bring the kids to a chicken farm or breeder so they can pick them out or online to see what they like

3. Joe.G

Joe.G Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2011
    Eastern NY
    We have a guy by use that has a bunch of chickens and he will get what ever I ask for, He only keeps certain kinds in stock. Are the colored eggs any good?

Are the birds I mentioned decent for kids to handle?

4. foxypoproxy

foxypoproxy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Madison, CT
    Barred rocks are great :].
    They are pretty easy to tame (in my experience).
    I got my standard barred rock when she was 6 years old, she was never handled much where she came from, but she ended up bonding with me very fast and she made an excellent pet!
    She would follow me around the yard and sit in my lap.
    I was a kid when i had her (i was about 10 years old).
    She was also very cold hardy and a good egg layer.
    She even got along with my bantam chickens.

I don't know much about RIR's but i have heard that the hatchery stock ones can be a bit nasty to other chickens.
    But i guess it all depends on the personality of the chicken.
    Hopefully someone with more experience with road island reds can give you more info.

5. slim1986

slim1986 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2011
    Highfill, Arkansas
    For eggs, RiR's are good, Barred Rocks are as well, as far as pets, i have a pair of OEG bantams and both are friendly as can be, my 2 yr old daughter just loves those "baby chickens" as she calls the and can walk right up to the hen and pick her right up! The rooster isn't as tame and usually stays just out of reach but is mellow with her when she finally catches up to him, and yes btw, the green and blue eggs are perfectly good to eat, so easter eggers would be good for kids! (i plan on getting some EE's for my daughter this spring)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by