Need some input

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Catz1611, Oct 27, 2010.

1. Catz1611

Catz1611 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 8, 2010
    Fredericksburg VA.
    I just brought home a Polish frizzel hen. you can see her here..

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=413827]

I brought her home..gave her some Ivermectin paste..put it in her mouth like all my other chickens... tried not to give her too much as she is small. she was fine..I took the pictures After I gave the Ivermectin. she was still running around eating ect.. and acting fine.

this morning I noticed she was lethargic, not drinking and not eating. I brought her in to keep an eye on her and she is face down..but still breathing. when I make noise she immediately poops her head up.

what in the world??? [​IMG]

2. Chickengal505

Chickengal505 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2010
    Bolivia N.C
    Hmmm lets cover the basics has she been wormed?,Has she been eating/drinking?,Is she interested in food (may not eat but shows some responce),Any obvious injurys/illnesses,Where did you get her(from a good breeder or a flea market kinnda place?),How old is she(if you dont know kinnda guesstamate) dont wanna be pushy just need some info [​IMG] wishing best you qnd yor flock

3. Catz1611

Oct 8, 2010
    Fredericksburg VA.
    No, you're not being pushy..I APPRECIATE the help...Thank you, thank you!

to my knowledge the first time she had been wormed was when I did it yesterday after bringing her home. i was scared to death I may have gave her too much Ivermectin but she was fine after I gave it to her. [​IMG]

not sure of the age..I was told she was young..she sounds like a chick...she doesn't cluck like my grown chickens. maybe 8 weeks..

no obvious injuries in fact she was running around like mad yesterday as well as eating, drinking..pecking the ground..acting normal.

Got her from a lady in my area..she was moving and couldn't take the chickens.

she isn't moving much..just sits in one place..her head is up now.. peeping ...there is no interest in food or water... I force fed her some water..

Last edited: Oct 27, 2010
  4. Catz1611

Oct 8, 2010
    Fredericksburg VA.
    she finally ate something and is eating like she hasn't ate in a week! YAY!! [​IMG] hope this is a good sign...

BUT, she STILL isn't standing up ... her feet seem to work fine.. I am trying not to be neurotic...but I don't want my new chicken to be sick or worse die..

......just want to know what is going on with her...

EDITED TO SAY:

saw a little bit of blood on the towel she was on..and upon close inspection..found a hole near the base of her head..by her ear.. she had been Pecked!! [​IMG][​IMG]

soo I cleaned the wound with peroxide, and put some Trophy EMT Gel on it and am now hoping she will recover...[​IMG]:fl

Last edited: Oct 27, 2010
  5. Catz1611

Oct 8, 2010
    Fredericksburg VA.
    Has anyone else had their chicken injured like this and are those symptoms normal for such an injury?

6. Clay Valley Farmer

Clay Valley Farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2010
    Yes, a head injury can result in movement problems. She may well recover in a day or two. If injury is in ear area that might affect balance and cause the sitting, not sure though.

You may want to do a little reading on quarantine and introducing new birds. I am suspecting you are taking some chances with your flocks health by dropping a new bird in that quick.

7. Catz1611

Oct 8, 2010
    Fredericksburg VA.
    Quote:thank you for your reply, We do have two chicken coops a smaller one and big one , I have my three newbies in the smaller area away from the rest of the birds. But, I had put my younger EE Roo in with the three hens and that was just dumb![​IMG] [​IMG]:

he was fine with the two, who were the same size as he, but picked on the polish hen some, who is smaller. So I took the Roo out. and when I put the birds up last night, I didn't notice she was hurt, until this morning. And it hadn't occurred to me that she had been injured at all, since she seemed fine last night. ( i feel like a bad chicken owner now! [​IMG])

she seems to be doing better now, she is moving a lot more and is eating..still haven't seen her take water. she is up for a bit then down again to sit.. Lord willing she will be just fine like you said, in a day or two.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by