Need Some More Opinions on Gender

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Blue, Oct 21, 2010.

1. Blue

Blue Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2010
    Virginia
    [​IMG]

This is Mambo, a mutt chicken that I got in a supposed pullet duo I got a few months ago. At first, I thought it was a pullet, but the feathering is looking very roo-ish to me now. She (he?) is around 6 months old, and if it wasn't for the bahavior, I'd feel confident in saying roo. However, Mambo has, so far, not done any of the usual things associated with young roos: no crowing, no flirting or trying to get frisky with any hens. Also, the wattles and comb don't seem as developed as usual for a roo of 6 months. Is he just a late bloomer? Is there any chance this could just be a really weirdly feathered hen?

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Two roos in that pic.

3. lothefarmer

lothefarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    CA
    looks like a roo to me.

4. Blue

Blue Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2010
    Virginia
    That's what I was thinking too. I already knew the silkie was a rooster, and the black and white one, Mambo, was supposed to be a pullet. Don't know what I'll do with another roo. I already have 3 (2 bantams and a standard). Guess I'll have to rehome him.

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Roo. He may be quieter and nicer due to having another roo around. Some boys are intimidated by the grown men, even if the men are little!

6. dolly85

dolly85 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2010
    Two roos.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by