Need Some More Opinions on Gender

Blue

Songster
9 Years
Apr 6, 2010
Virginia
53351_sdc10543.jpg

This is Mambo, a mutt chicken that I got in a supposed pullet duo I got a few months ago. At first, I thought it was a pullet, but the feathering is looking very roo-ish to me now. She (he?) is around 6 months old, and if it wasn't for the bahavior, I'd feel confident in saying roo. However, Mambo has, so far, not done any of the usual things associated with young roos: no crowing, no flirting or trying to get frisky with any hens. Also, the wattles and comb don't seem as developed as usual for a roo of 6 months. Is he just a late bloomer? Is there any chance this could just be a really weirdly feathered hen?

That's what I was thinking too. I already knew the silkie was a rooster, and the black and white one, Mambo, was supposed to be a pullet. Don't know what I'll do with another roo. I already have 3 (2 bantams and a standard). Guess I'll have to rehome him.

Roo. He may be quieter and nicer due to having another roo around. Some boys are intimidated by the grown men, even if the men are little!

Back
Top Bottom