Need some newbie advice...

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by aidensmomma, Oct 25, 2011.

1. aidensmomma

aidensmomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2011
    North Central Florida
    Where do I find all the information I need on raising meat chickens? Should I just read through this forum or can someone give me a good reading suggestion? My layers are doing awesome and I would like to start raising my own meat birds once my husband builds me another coop...I watched Food Inc again and it's inspired me to get moving on this project. In my mind, it makes sense that I would raise enough to last for a certain amount of time then rotate in a new crop of chicks and so on and so forth...that way I always have a freezer full. Any help is appreciated!

2. chickflick

chickflick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 10, 2007
    Dimondale
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Just wanted towelcome you. I know nothing of meat chickens, but, someone will come along to help you!!

3. SIMZ

SIMZ Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Northwest Indiana
    Hello! We just finished raising our second batch of meat chickens, so I'm no expert. I have found Storey's Guide to Raising Chickens VERY helpful. You'll also find lots of helpful tips in the meat chicken section of BYC, too. If you come across specific questions you can always post your questions and see what you get!

It's well worth the work to have yummy chicken in the freezer that you know exactly where it came from.

Stacie [​IMG]

4. EggsForIHOP

EggsForIHOP Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    TEXAS
    Read read and read some more here, and people will ALWAYS have a good answer to any question here too! It's not just the Food Inc aspect (I've seen that one too - it made me think) but for us personally it's the "Look what I can do" that is the biggest pay off. I've also learned to make friends with kids in 4H/FFA...they seem to have all kinds of specific local knowledge that helps a TON! (good feed stores vs ones that sell 'buggy' feed, tricks to dealing with local weather, etc....)

I am so thankful for all the info here - you can see how others chicks are growing and compare yours, you can see what others are feeding, their set up for housing...the Meat Birds ETC section has a WEALTH of valuable info and knowledgeable people too! I almost never bother googling anything chicken anymore unless I'm just bored, I always come here first [​IMG]

5. aidensmomma

Mar 20, 2011
    North Central Florida
    Thank you so much for the welcome, Rose! [​IMG]
    SIMZ, thanks for the reply, how many people do you feed? How do you keep a constant supply of meat in the freezer and do you process your own meat? Is there a cycle that you have down as far as getting new chicks every "x" amount of weeks or months? I love that my eggs are fresh every day and my hens free range and lay healthy eggs for me and my kiddo's. I can't WAIT to be able to cook a dinner with my own chicken meat. It's also teaching my kids a very valuable lesson. Just yesterday my almost 3 year old daughter went and gathered eggs for me and on her way in yelled "tanks for the eggs chick chicks!!" [​IMG]
    Thanks again for the replies

6. aidensmomma

Mar 20, 2011
    North Central Florida
    Eggsforihop, i LOVE your quote [​IMG]

7. SIMZ

SIMZ Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Northwest Indiana
    The "look what I can do" aspect is a BIG one for us, too! [​IMG]

We just got our chickens in the spring and did a meat chicken experiment with 8 Cornish X. It went well and we learned some things in the process. We went through those pretty fast, so we raised 20 this time (fall).

We are feeding a family of 7 - two teens, two adults, 1 child. We recently learned how to process and will be getting the equipment we need this winter. In the meantime (and maybe always! lol) we take them to a nice lady that only charges $1 a bird. How can you beat that? We can stand there and watch and talk while she takes care of the chickens, so we know we're getting our own birds back and things are done humanely and cleanly.

I may try to sell some in the spring. If so, I will do a batch of 30 and then get another 30 about 4 weeks later. I plan to put mine next batch in a tractor that I move around the yard next time after they're around 3-4 weeks, depending on the weather. If I don't sell any, then we'll plan on a batch of 30 in the spring and another 30 in the fall. That should be plenty for us and a few to give away.

It's well worth trying! [​IMG]

8. TrinityFarms

TrinityFarms Out Of The Brooder

Oct 1, 2011
  9. FlaRocky

FlaRocky Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]

From Lake County, Florida. Join the Florida thread, Nava is the host. He has the pic of he week Naked Neck Turken. The Pampered Pullet is having a swap and clinic this Saturday in Ocala, you should check it out. It's listed under swaps.

Maye

10. aidensmomma

Mar 20, 2011
    North Central Florida
    How do I find the Florida thread....I'm so not internet/blog/forum thingy savvy!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by