Need some quick emergency duck egg help!

casslarrabee225

Songster
8 Years
Apr 23, 2011
Mid-Coast, Maine
My Coop
My Coop
Went to lock my ducks in for the night and candled egg #9 and it has a crack, a good size crack. But not through the membrane. I read to put wax over the crack and that should help? I'm pretty sure I saw the duck move, so I think it's still alive. Any help???

Is it possible to bring it in and incubate it? I would worry that the structural integrity of the egg would not hold up to normal bumps and bangs it would receive in the nest.

Well, There's several different solutions to this. Some people have put a clear nail polish on, some people have put scotch tape on, or wax like you said.

I went out this morning and brought the egg in and put it in the incubator with the rest I have in there. I don't think it made it, the got cool pretty fast after removing it from the nest so I just put it straight into the incubator. I'll candle the egg tonight and look for a sign of life...
fl.gif

Also while out there I noticed that the nest has been split. The female is sitting on about 6 and the male was sitting right next to her on 4. That left 2 unaccounted for. I noticed them just at the outside edge of the nest under the shavings. They were a little cool..I put them back in the nest and put all the eggs back together in one clutch...do the "cool" eggs stand a chance??

Back
Top Bottom