Need some quick help about chicks fighting, please!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by MydearWatson, May 15, 2011.

1. MydearWatson

MydearWatson Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2010
    CT
    I have two Orps (1 black, 1 blue) that have been vying for top spot since I got them two weeks ago, they are three weeks old. Up until now it has just been some chest bumping. Now its more aggressive; pecking, screaming, jumping on backs, they will peck each other and not let go... They have been sparring more today but tonight it really seemed to come to a head. The other three chicks kind of know to stay out of the way, luckily. My little black orp looks just like the one that is fighting and she gets picked on by blue until she realizes shes pecking the wrong black one. [​IMG] It just seems like things in the brooder got seriously amped up and everyone was nervous. Things have calmed down and the two that were fighting are actually sleeping on each other now. Is it ok for me to go to bed? Is this the normal pecking order routine? They have been so gentle to this point maybe I am just being sensitive or maybe I should intervene? I just dont want anyone getting hurt overnight.

2. earnhardtlvr

earnhardtlvr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    Hagerstown, MD
    I'm a newbie but I guess if it were me I would try to seperate them in the brooder for the night??? But I'm really not sure about it. [​IMG] I wish I had more experience with this to help u. [​IMG] When I turn the light off (not the heat lamp, but the regular light I have to simulate day/night for them) the normally settle down for the night and go to bed. I would check on them again in a little while and see if things r still calm maybe? [​IMG]

3. MydearWatson

Sep 20, 2010
    CT
    I have a red light in there so it is pretty mellow and dark. I was thinking of separating but with my brooder set up, its kind of difficult since I only have one lamp. I think I will try and wake up in an hour or so and check on them. I am hoping someone will tell me that this is normal pecking order behaviour. I hear them now better go check...

4. earnhardtlvr

earnhardtlvr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    Hagerstown, MD
    Again I am a newbie...and it sounds like normal pecking order stuff...but that's just based on what I have read. Good luck and keep us posted!

5. MydearWatson

Sep 20, 2010
    CT
    Things seem to be settling down a bit. I think they are tired right now, ME TOO! [​IMG] thank you for the support. Even us newbies can at least offer some comfort for eachother. [​IMG] So thank you.

Hopefully in the morning there will be a few posts letting me know where the line of normal vs. Intervention is.

6. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    The dividing line, basically, is blood. When one is injured to the point of blood showing, they will attack the wound. If you can get some BluKote and put it on a wound, if it's not too erious, it will be a little bir of antiseptic plus color the wound so the will leave it alone. If Needed, and hopefully.

Good luck.

7. Batty about Banties

Batty about Banties Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2011
    Gorge
    I have a mean little Maran roo who was pecking on one of my little Wyandottes. Th:)ey are only 3 weeks old. I seperated him for awhile and things are fine now. Good Luck.

8. MydearWatson

Sep 20, 2010
    CT
    Thank you. There is definitely no blood.Is it normal for things to get amped up like this? The instigator is the one, I believe, is not the leader. Is it typical for the lower one in rank to keep trying?

I've tried looking up the sociology of chickend, etc to get some insight but haven't found anything useful to teach me the process. Forgive me for all of these questions. [​IMG]

Last edited: May 15, 2011
  9. katie4

katie4 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2011
    Mellow Orps fighting is somewhat unusual. My 9 get along fine. I wonder if they pecked and fought because they were crowded, bored, or maybe not Orps?

Try offering a little more space and add something to peck at (hard fruit like apples or grapes, head lettuce, or my Orps' favorite--dandelion leaves!). My Orps started pecking each other at 3.5 weeks. I started adding treats to keep them busy and put in two water and 2 feed stations. Not sure which one worked but they stopped pecking right away.

Any blood will equal cannabalism and continued pecking. Isolate the injured chick(s), wipe with peroxide, wet towels, or another topical anteseptic, and return her to the flock when no red injury is visible. Get rid of obvious signs of blood so you can tell when the wound is healed.

10. MydearWatson

Sep 20, 2010
    CT
    I got the Orps from a breeder so they definitely are. [​IMG] One isn't so mellow, she's more fear based aggression type, at least if you put it in dog terms. Opened the door to the brooder so they could "freerange" around the living room.we've done it before but it always makes her nervous. Maybe it was too much tonight?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by