1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

need some reassurance...

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by top of the hill, Nov 1, 2011.

1. top of the hill

top of the hill Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2011
    Connecticut
    My BR chicks are just shy of 8 weeks, feathered and ready for the outdoors. I know I am being a way over cautious and I need to pull the heat lamp if they will make it through this winter. I am sure they are fine, but could someone just reassure me that its ok??? PLEASE [​IMG]

Its 50 degrees out, the coop has plastic on the drafty windows (as well as six 28 week old girls running in and out the pop door - the chix are seperated) I'm stuck at work and seriously considering running home at lunch to check on them...

2. TinyChickenLady

TinyChickenLady Chillin' With My Peeps

I took the heat lamp off mine early (around 3 weeks old) and they moved outside at 4 weeks old. It was about 65* at the time and they are doing great! I understand you being cautious. I was the same way. But they are tough little critters and will do just fine [​IMG] No need to worry.

3. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    They are fine [​IMG] It's hard leaving them to "fend for themselves" for the first time after carefully watching over them for 8 weeks huh? They'll be just fine though when you get home. You'll feel silly for ever having worried [​IMG]

4. turbodog

turbodog Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Independence, La.
    Take a deep breath.....let it out......and say: They are fine, they are fine, they are fine! [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

5. top of the hill

Jun 20, 2011
    Connecticut
    Thanks everyone! After some deep breaths, I am feeling so much better... and just because, here are a few pics of the girls! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

(coop still under construction... I've been saying that for months now! lol)

Last edited: Nov 1, 2011
  6. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

The best thing, the absolute kindest thing to do is to allow them the moderately cool temps now. Nature knows best and will feather them up. They will be big balls of down and feathers in a few weeks. Heating can prevent that kind of appropriate feathering. Good for you!!! The Barred Rocks are very cold hardy, or they'd never have survived all the northern states, grandmothers who kept them. They did fine for great grandma and they'll do fine for us too.

7. top of the hill

Jun 20, 2011
    Connecticut
    Fred's Hens :

The best thing, the absolute kindest thing to do is to allow them the moderately cool temps now. Nature knows best and will feather them up. They will be big balls of down and feathers in a few weeks. Heating can prevent that kind of appropriate feathering. Good for you!!! The Barred Rocks are very cold hardy, or they'd never have survived all the northern states, grandmothers who kept them. They did fine for great grandma and they'll do fine for us too.

Thanks Freds Hens! I believe it was one of your posts I read regarding this very same thing that had me pull the plug, the heat lamp plug that is! lol I know my girls will be better for it.
    Thanks for giving such sound advice on the BYC!​

8. waterchicken

waterchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2011
    Good pics! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. eggdd

eggdd Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2011
    good to hear they're fine. yay. [​IMG]

it's difficult to "let them go" after taking such great care of them for a few weeks - - i think we under estimate them sometimes, though. they're meant to be outside being....chickens. if they were with a chicken-mom, they'd have been out the entire time.

don't worry. enjoy them! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by