Need Some Suggestions For... Life?

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by WildernessLofts, Sep 7, 2009.

1. WildernessLofts

WildernessLofts Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    North Topeka, KS
    Basically, I'm stuck in a rut. I need to finish my college education, but I no longer know what I want to do. I had planned FIRST on being an avian/exotic veterinarian with a minor in zoology, but then I decided I didn't want to be tied down to a specific job. I want to be able to travel the world and see all of the exotic wildlife this planet has to offer. I can't do that stuck in an office all day.

Then, I decided I'd be a zoologist with a secondary major in computer forensics and a minor in Chinese. Well, after reading more about zoologists, I learned that it's not the thing for me. For one, a lot of them end up working in zoos which is not what I want. I'd hate to see those animals suffer. Because, really, you know they do. What lion wants to be stuck in a cage and gawked at by strange people all day? Yelled at by little kids? Not to mention, the pay isn't up to par with my standards. As for the computer forensics thing, I just didn't have the patience to go through all of those programming classes. So tedious and mind-numbing. I don't need to know 50 different ways to create a program to calculate grade point averages.

THEN, I settled on wildlife biology with a double minor in photojournalism and Chinese. Well, until I learned just how unstable the earnings are for a wildlife biologist and how most of them never really have much money. The photojournalism thing I looked up more on and decided it wasn't for me, as much as I love taking pictures. Maybe for National Geographic or something, but the odds of that would be pretty low, right?

So now I don't know what to do. I definitely want a major in animal sciences, but... what should I do with it? No matter what, I plan on getting my doctorate. I have potential, I just lack the main focus of what to do.

Suggestions?

2. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    If you believe that animals in zoos are suffering, then animal science is not for you either.

3. thewarriorchild

thewarriorchild Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    Ringwood area, NJ
    I am sure you have used a career salary calculator but is there one that goes backwards to show you salarys and the jobs it takes to get them? Have you taken a test to see what career it places you in? Maybe something you never thought of. I can try and find you one if you want.

I like the photographer idea. Remember also you may get a job that pays a ton then you can fly to Paris on the weekend [​IMG] and retire early....

4. WildernessLofts

Jun 4, 2009
    North Topeka, KS
    Animals sciences incorporates a full array of "areas of interest". Veterinary Medicine, Zoology, Wildlife Biology, etc. are all considered fields of animal sciences. Although, I guess that could also depend on which college you go to...

5. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

Gee....those are some tough choices. [​IMG] Maybe you could get a part-time job in the areas in which you are wanting to go, just to see what they are really like in terms of pay and excitement?

I will tell you this, though. Jobs are rarely as exciting as you see on TV or read about in mags. They all have an aspect of boring or not, lower pay in some areas of the country or not, availability.

It's best to choose something that will still be around if the economy continues to plummet. Something that will feed a family that you will no doubt want to have some day. Something with good health benefits and something that suits your personality.

That combination isn't always easy to find. Good thing you are young and have no responsibilities like a family to tie you down. You can be anything you like or change your mind anytime you wish.

Good luck!

6. WildernessLofts

Jun 4, 2009
    North Topeka, KS
    Quote:We took one of those in high school. Wow, I about died with laughter. One of my suggestions was a worm farmer. [​IMG]

7. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    I can't believe I'm about to say this, but could you take a year off school and go intern with some of these jobs? Sometimes the real world job is very different from the educational version. See if Nat'l Geographic has intern positions. See if you can trail around behind a zoologist for a few months. Hang out as a vet assistant for a while. Try out all sorts of things and see what you think. Most professions are more than happy to let students trail them to see what it is all about. It might help you make up your mind.
    Good luck!

edited to add- you need to decide if your focus is finding a job you love or finding one that pays gobs of money. Sometimes they work out to be the same and sometimes they don't. My job is one that I love more than anything. It totally fulfills me intellectually and emotionally, but it isn't terribly high paying. In fact, for a while it was barely paying enough to keep the most basic bills paid. With time and age, it is paying enough to keep the wolves from the door, but it's not likely that I'll be jaunting off to Paris anytime soon. [​IMG] Decide which is more important to you.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2009
  8. WildernessLofts

Jun 4, 2009
    North Topeka, KS
    Quote:Young, but not young enough, unfortunately. I turn 24 this month. Sure, I realize that you're never too old to start, but I figured I'd be most of the way done with a major by now. Life got in the way and I've had a late start.

9. English Chick

English Chick English Mum

Jun 27, 2008
    Cheshire UK
    Look into the lives of Richard and David Attenborough (from the UK)... you might find scope and direction from them.....

Good luck [​IMG]

10. WildernessLofts

Jun 4, 2009
    North Topeka, KS
    Quote:I job shadowed a vet in HS. That's what made up my mind that it wasn't what I wanted to do. Granted, small town practice, but I don't want to fill up my day with 20 neuters and spays every day. That was pretty much all I ever got to see him do. The most excitement we had was having a yorkie get attacked by a saint bernard, or that time they brought in a breeder german shepherd that wasn't given much human attention, so they had to tackle him and tranquilize him in order to do anything. lol

As for taking a year off, I've already taken 4 1/2 years off. I only have one semester of college under my belt. I had some... complications.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by