Need some tips on this incubator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by peakpoultry, Mar 26, 2009.

1. peakpoultry

peakpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    Marana, Arizona
    I just got a incubator, It's like a medium size small refrigerator, it says precision on the door. I have looked it up online and really no luck. It says Gravity convection incubator economy model 4eg. Any info would help. I plugged it in and it doesn't seem to be heating up that high. I had it on 6 and was at 60 degrees and I turned it down to 3.5 and it seemed to heat up more. ?? Who know. [​IMG]

2. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    This may sound stupid but are you shure its an egg incubator and not like a lab one? Just a thought. Other then that I do not know. Someone will . Good luck.

3. peakpoultry

Mar 25, 2009
    Marana, Arizona
    Quote:That's funny because I thought the same thing, but my friend that I got it from hatched a few eggs out of it. When I go online it comes up as a something about a lab. ??

4. gabrielle1976

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    well if you can find the exact name and or a modle number or something Im shrue someone will know something about it. And if it is a lab oven thingy You should be able to covert it to be a incubator , I could have sworn that recently I read a post from someone in Oregon picking up a lab thing and turning it into a bator , they had to use the door for everything as there are tubes and wires and such running thru the walls but it worked.

5. peakpoultry

Mar 25, 2009
    Marana, Arizona
    Quote:It has all the shelves and everything, I just don't really know how to work it as far as the temp goes. She hatched a few out of there but she couldn't keep the humidity right.

6. gabrielle1976

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    Well then start at one end of the knob, turn it all the way one way , wait about 2 hours and see what the temp is , wait another 15 minutes to make shure its not still climbing or falling and move the knob the other direction a tiny bit wait and see what temp that gets wait another 15 minutes to see if it moved and then repeat eventually you should get to the right temp . What kind of humidity issues did she have?

7. peakpoultry

Mar 25, 2009
    Marana, Arizona
    Quote:I played with it last night and this morning and the temp really didnt change much. She couldn't keep the humidity low and most of the chicks didnt hatch out.

8. BirdBrain

BirdBrain Prefers Frozen Tail Feathers

May 7, 2007
    Alaska
    How's the ventilation?

9. peakpoultry

Mar 25, 2009
    Marana, Arizona
    Quote:It only has the little vents on the top otherwise it doesn't have any other ventilation.

10. peakpoultry

Mar 25, 2009
    Marana, Arizona
    I have a picture of it, but I can't figure out how to load it into a message. I have it uploaded into my page already.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by