Need Some Tips

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Silkiehen, Feb 15, 2014.

1. Silkiehen

Silkiehen Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2014
    This is first post! Ok, so I tried raising chickens about two years ago and had to rehome them (Went to a family member w/ 20+ Chickens) I still can see them so I know they are fine! I am very interested in some Red Stars and Black Stars (That's what I had last time and they would run up to you and jump up and down). I live in Texas so weather is unpredictable! I tried raising them last year coons and dogs got them. So I have a chain link cage, chicken fence and wood will be placed on the bottom. The chicks will be kept inside until I think they are ready. When we are at work they will be penned until I get off and then free ranged the rest of the day. Then I will free range them all day once the dogs get used to them. Is that fine? I am open to any suggestions! Thank you in advance!

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I'd suggest you do some reading in the Predators and Pests forum. I'm not sure your setup will protect them from coons. Chain link certainly won't. Hardware cloth is probably the safest.

You can train dogs to leave chickens alone, mostly, though some experienced folks here say they are never actually 100% safe aorund chickens. My experience is, I presently have two dogs who could not be trained to leave them alone. I used to have two dogs who were safe around chickens for several years, til they (the dogs) died of old age. But it took months of training to get them that way.

3. Silkiehen

Feb 15, 2014
    I forgot to mention that there will be hot wire around the fence (Out of the chickens reach of course)! I will definitely look into hardware cloth! Thank you, I'm getting every thing set up before I get them, so I really appreciate your suggestion!

4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Glad to hear you are planning ahead! You should have a safe and happy flock!

5. Silkiehen

Feb 15, 2014
    Thank you! I'm trying to give them the best life possible!

6. theawesomechick

theawesomechick Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] Try some articles in the Learning Center section of BYC.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by