need some worming advice

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chuckEboy, Jan 21, 2015.

1. chuckEboy

chuckEboy Out Of The Brooder

Nov 22, 2014
    I recently had some respiratory issues with my flock and administered antibiotics. They seemed to have recovered well. I wanted to worm them and waited until after I was done with antibiotics. I noticed one pullet making a sneezing sound or funny hick up sound and did some research. Seems like gape worms. I have wazine that I was planning to use but don't think it works for gape. I also have ivomec oral or injectible but most of what I read says to use wazine first. I am concerened for the gape worms to do to much harm while I wait 10 days after administering wazine then use ivomec. Should I use ivomec first or use wazine then ivomec? Also can I just put drops of ivomec down there throat?

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    If your chickens can eat and drink, they probably don't have gapeworm, but may have a respiratory disease, such as bronchitis, MG, coryza, ILT, or something else. Most respiratory diseases are chronic, and may go through a flock over time, and make carriers of the flock. They can get it again when stressed. To answer your question about gapeworm, I would always use Valbazen 1/2 ml given orally to each chicken, then repeated in 10 days. It will get any chicken worms, even the very difficult ones. Most worms are resistant to ivermectin nowadays, and Wazine may only treat round worms.

3. chuckEboy

Nov 22, 2014
    Thanks. I will go to feed store tomorrow and get this valbazen. Another question...if it is still the respiratory disease should I do another treatment of antibiotics? I gave them antibiotic for 7 days and have stopped for 5.

4. chuckEboy

Nov 22, 2014
    Also the one pullet that I think has the gape worms is acting like she is feeding but doing this weird sound and opening her mouth wide. Looks just like a video I watched on you tube.

5. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Tylan 50 injectable is very good to treat respiratory diseases, if you need to change. I would recommend only treating one that is sick, not the whole flock. Some diseases which are caused by viruses, have to run their course, and may not respond to antibiotics. Valbazen sometimes can be hard to find, so here are 2 links for it:
    http://www.kvsupply.com/valbazen-su...3&cadevice=c&gclid=CNC90KanpsMCFURo7Aod4wIAYg

http://www.wholesalekennel.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=22_24&products_id=29

6. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Will Valbazen treat gapes with just one dose?

-Kathy

7. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    If it were gapes, I'd treat them just like I do with tapes. Withhold feed for 24 hours, give a high dose. Then 3 days later withhold feed for 24 hours and redose the fourth day. Withhold feed for 24 hours the 7th day and redose the 8th day....higher doses included.
    ChuckEboy, you're dealing with some type of respiratory disease, not gapeworm. I recommend you follow Eggcessive's advice using tylan 50 injectable on your sick birds.

8. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    The study I read tonight about Valbazen is that it was 95% effective against gapeworm at a dosage of 15mg per Kg (or each 2.2pounds.)

9. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

Wanna share the link? :D Been looking for a Valbazen study that mentions gapes, but couldn't find one. Definetly sounds like one worthy of a bookmark.

-Kathy

10. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It's from 1989, at eurekamag.com. I can't post links on my tablet tonight, but can in am. It was about the effacacy of membendazole, thiobendazole, and albendazole on sygmatis trachea.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by