Need someone to help me sort through my thoughts :)

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by sheeshshe, Mar 23, 2012.

1. sheeshshe

sheeshshe Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2009
    OK, I want to get chicks this week/early next week. we're going on a vacation mid may, so if we're going to add to our flock we need to do it now, or wait until June (which then it'll be later on in the year that we most likely won't get eggs this year bc of our climate). I spaced, so I didn't order with the local place and their next preorder isn't until May. So that isn't going to work. They do have some chicks leftover, but none of the breeds I was looking for. I am being picky because I won't get new chicks for a few more years. I wanted welsummers, EE's, dominiques, and probably black sex links. Some good layers in there and some pretty eggs in there ;) Only problem is, I can't find them anywhere :( Tractor supply only has brahmas and buff orpingtons (I already have BOs). I can't remember the list of chicks that the local place has, it was a lot of stuff, just not the things on my list LOL. And this other local place is getting barred rocks,aracaunas, and golden comets.

What would you do? Would you just settle and get whatever now? Or wait until June, get what you want and then not get eggs this year? BAH! It is driving me nuts! HELP!

2. CarolJ

CarolJ Dogwood Trace Farm

Jun 3, 2011
    Middle Tennessee
    The "Araucanas" that the other local place listed are most likely EE's. Either way - they'll be blue/green egg layers. And a golden comet is a sex-link. The Dominick looks similar to a barred rock. That's "similar" matches for 3 out of the 4 breeds you want. Have you checked Craigslist - or put a WTB ad here on BYC to see if you can find what you want.

3. CarolJ

CarolJ Dogwood Trace Farm

Jun 3, 2011
    Middle Tennessee
    One more thing. If you really want only the exact breeds you listed - then I'd wait. In the long run, a couple more months of waiting won't make much of a difference. But if you get breeds now that you don't particularly want, then they'll take up the space that you could fill with the breeds you DO want later.

Just my opinion. :)

Last edited: Mar 23, 2012
  4. sheeshshe

May 6, 2009
    hmmmmmmmmmmmm.!!

Ok, here is a question. can 1 week old chicks go with day old chicks in thesame brooder?

5. If your space is limited, I'd wait. If, however, it's not, I'd do both- I'd get some now and get the ones you wanted later. [​IMG] But, it's well known that I'm a chicken math pusher. [​IMG]

6. sheeshshe

May 6, 2009
    or even 2 week old chicks?

7. sheeshshe

May 6, 2009
    LOL!! too funny. Hubby doesn't want a ton (took me a while to convicne him to add more hahah) but we're buying 4 doz eggs/ week at the store! silly!

do you think welsummers are good layers? I wanted those or marans.

8. sheeshshe

May 6, 2009
    OK, I've found dominiques and black sex links that I can get today. Then next friday I can get the aracaunas/americaunas. And I can't find welsummers. So I'd have to order those and get those in June.

Do you guys think that will work? The only thing I'm not too keen on is that I'll have 3 separate flocks doing it that way. I'd prefer 2, but if I wind up with 3, then oh well I guess! They'll all live together in the end, but you know how they just never 100% fully integrate into 1 flock because they didn't grow up together...

9. kari_dawn

kari_dawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    I disagree that they never fully integrate...My flock is one big mash of different flocks that I have added to eachother. It takes a few months, but they do become one big happy flock. You never would have guessed they didn't grow up together, or that they are different ages...

As for the wellies, have you checked craigslist? I know there is someone near me that is pumping them out like crazy. They seem to have wellie chicks available all year. Im actually selling some young EEs and a BCM on craigslist right now.

Just curious, why on earth are you buying so may dozens of eggs every week?!

Last edited: Mar 23, 2012
  10. sheeshshe

May 6, 2009
    I'm looking for EE's as well :)

I jsut posted a wanted on Cl for wellies :) I hope someone comes through! If not, I have to wait till June.

well, we got 4 chickens originally, then added 2 more 2ish mos later. they never fully integrated. the younger two got picked on by the leader of the older 4. One died because of impacted crop, and now the 1 gets picked on by her. But she never picked on the ones from her group of 4!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by