need suggestions as to what could be going on-please

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by yomama, Nov 30, 2011.

1. yomama

yomama Overrun With Chickens

I have a Barred Rock hen that just turned one year this October. Well yesterday, my hen was acting just a tad off. Eyes not as bright, just ever so slightly hanging out away from the group. She is still eating and active. Not sure what her poos are like as of yet. I felt her crop, normal, belly does not feel distended or hard. She has been losing alot of feathers, but that seems to be more of a molt. She has lost tail feathers, and all her belly feathers are gone. I checked her over for external parasites, didn't see anything. She did lose a ton of feathers, just from me handling her. All my hens were wormed twice in September, at 10 day intervals, with Valbazen. I debated bringing her in, but with no real symptoms, I figured she would be more comfortable with the other chickens for now. I know something is wrong, just have the feeling. Unfortunately, when I get that feeling, I'm usually right. I did lose another hen just over a month ago. She kind of acted the same, with no real symptoms. However, by the time she showed she was off, she was very thin. Dot, my Barred Rock, has not really lost alot of weight. Any suggestions as to what could be going on? Thanks!

Last edited: Dec 1, 2011
  2. peterlund

peterlund Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2010
    MA Cranberry Country
    Quote:She is a youngster, so maybe she is just having a combo issue... molt and loss of sunlight. Are the others picking on her? If not... watch her like you certainly will, and I am certain she will be fine...... No whiskey or Beer BTW.

3. yomama

Quote:She is a youngster, so maybe she is just having a combo issue... molt and loss of sunlight. Are the others picking on her? If not... watch her like you certainly will, and I am certain she will be fine...... No whiskey or Beer BTW.

My girls have supplemented light in their coop. It's on a timer, so that they get at least 13 hours of light a day. They do freerange as well. No one seems to be picking on her at all. What do you mean about the whiskey or beer?

Last edited: Nov 30, 2011
  4. yomama

I've been gone all day, but checked her again tonight. She seems the same, but feels thin. I'm thinking about aministering some antibiotics, figure it couldn't hurt. Any suggestions? I normally would not just give antibiotics, but I'm afraid she is going to take a turn for the worse. I checked her over for mites with a flashlight when it was dark out, since I know that the mites like to come out at night. I didn't see anything.
    I would greatly appreciate any advice.Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by