1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Need suggestions before I screw up...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Peaguy, Jul 12, 2008.

1. Peaguy

Peaguy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2007
    May,Texas
    My three week olds are getting CROWDED Of course it doesn't help that they are such pigs and I have had to get a larger feeder and waterer so they are losing space at a phenominal rate in the brooder. Today I spent the afternoon putting up chicken wire on the one side of the run that the cows seem to feel they are priviledged to just walk through the fence on their own whim. Now this is just a temporary fix so that I can let these guys get out and stretch their wings and get some sun ....Permanant repairs are in order and I realized today will involve rebuilding that whole fence-line.Okay the advice I need... since I will still be keeping these kids in the house over night (coop still has lots to be done to predator proof) and trekking them from the house and back, What is the best way to catch them all once they are released into the 30'x30' run? I ask before I dare let a single one go as they CANNOT stay out on their own yet! Any suiggestions?

2. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    Wait until twilight when they all pile up together to go to sleep.

Or maybe get a couple pieces of plywood to 'corral' them - you could hold the boards and sort of make a moving fence as you walk and herd them to one end of the pen.

3. TT

TT Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2008
    Florida
    The few times I took mine outside before they left the brooder they let me know when they were tired. I left the tote that I had carried them out in inside the fence and when they were done playing they all ganged up in it. [​IMG]

4. Peaguy

Apr 23, 2007
    May,Texas
    Thanks Arlee!!!! I was sitting here after I posted and had a DOH! moment and thought of the herding board about the time I hit submit These poor birds have got to realize there is a whole other world out there then the brooder box! I have had to graduate them to larger feeders and waterers as they are big enough to keep knocking the small ones over and the amount of shavings that are ending up in the compost heap before they mold is really growing quickly!

5. Peaguy

Apr 23, 2007
    May,Texas
    Thanks TT I will be using a dog carrier for transport as this time outside will also allow me time alone to thoroughly clean the brooder box without having to worry about them being even more cramped in the huge tub I usually put them in while cleaning.
    They have learned how good fresh corn on the cob is so that might be an enticment treat to put into the carrier also.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by