Need suggestions - Deep litter?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by ChickensXOXO, Sep 17, 2011.

1. ChickensXOXO

ChickensXOXO Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    The Carolinas
    I have a small 4x4 pen/house, and I'm thinking of using it as a coop for 4 of my bantams.
    However, it was originally meant for two goslings, that no longer use it, and it doesn't have a bottom.
    I'm thinking of using the deep litter method in this coop, but I have some questions.
    I need to add a bottom, right? Then I just add wood shavings or hay?
    The run is separate from the coop, so they'll just need it for roosting and nesting.
    So I just keep adding wood shavings throughout the year? How often do I clean it completely out?
    Anything else I should know?

Thanks!

2. AlienChick

AlienChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    Yeah, just add about 4-6 inches of shavings (depending on how large and number of chicks).

Rake it each morning when you check on the chicks.

Add more shavings on top as needed (if you notice an odor AFTER raking).

You can clean once a year at Spring time to use the litter in your compost pile.

You can clean it twice a year if you feel it's necessary.

Keep the litter DRY at all times otherwise it will SMELL! [​IMG]

I've had my deep litter in my coop for almost 6 months now, and I've noticed when I rake in the morning, it is very dusty from the dried poop, shavings dust, feather dust, and DE. It still doesn't smell, but I don't like so much dust. So I'm thinking I'll be doing the twice/year changing of the litter.

[​IMG]

3. ChickensXOXO

ChickensXOXO Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    The Carolinas
    Thanks. I'm definitely going to try this.

4. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

Quote:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by