Need suggestions for an inexpensive/organic first aid kit...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kjbarker, May 10, 2011.

1. kjbarker

kjbarker New Egg

May 10, 2011
    Hi all,

I'm new to the forum and to raising chickens. I received 6 chicks as a "gift" (pretty certain that they're Bantams) in March. Gave myself a (now I see it was mediocre) crash course in chickens at the time, and for the past two months they all have seemed happy and they were thriving.

Last night, my 16 1/2 year old golden retriever mix (who has NEVER so much as looked sideways at another animal) got hold of one of my precious little hens. I tried to staunch the bleeding, rinse the wound out, put neosporin on it, put her in a separate cage back in the house with me and sat with her most of the night. I couldn't see the full extent of the damage so I'm not sure if it was a puncture wound or if the dog got some pin feathers (she wasn't fully feathered under her wings yet). She made it through the night, and I recleaned and bandaged her this morning. She had a bowel movement this morning, so I didn't think there was any serious intestinal damage; and she had yet to lay any eggs so I don't think she was bound. She wasn't moving her left leg last night but seemed to be able to move it this morning. I lost her early this afternoon, so I know that I can't do anything more for her; but I NEVER want to feel that helpless again! Can anyone suggest some inexpensive items that I can keep on hand in case something like this happens again?? Obviously the dog will never be out near them again, but I want to be prepared for emergencies....so ANY suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thank you!

Karina

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by