Need suggestions for cold weather coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by bogwitch, Aug 2, 2011.

1. bogwitch

bogwitch Out Of The Brooder

Aug 2, 2011
    South Central Wisconsin
    I am building a shed on a 8'x12' cement pad, where 8x4 will be a coop and 8x8 will be a storage shed for bikes, etc and they will share an internal wall. I am struggling with where to put doors, because here in WI the winters get pretty cold. I had thought to put a full-sized door leading from the outside into the coop, because I know that will make it easier to clean, but then that would be how I would gain access for feeding and watering, and I think opening up a full size door into the coop in the middle of winter will be too cold? I thought to put the door into the coop on the inside wall, but then I would have to enter the storage shed to get to the door into the coop, and that would cut down on storage area available in the shed part. I have massive indecision and need to figure this stuff out. Any suggestions? I am already planning on insulating the walls in the coop, and having an electric water heater and heat/light source in the winter, so it really is only a matter of door situation....[​IMG]

2. moetrout

moetrout Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Milan, MI
    I would put the door where ever is most convienent for you. Opening a door in the winter and letting in cold air is not going to bother them. Chickens tolerate the cold much better than the heat. Remember, they're always wearing their down coat.

3. JackE

JackE Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    North Eastern Md.
    Put the door where it is most convenient for YOU. The chickens can handle cold weather. Definently have a electric water heater/warmer. Don't bother with heatlamps, all you are going to do is run up your electric bill, and possibly cause a fire. Insulation is not necessary, and alot more trouble than it's worth in a chicken coop. Lastly, DON'T shut the chickens up tight is a poorly ventilated coop in the wintertime. Make sure you provide good ventilation, MORE than you think is necessary.
    Jack

4. patman75

patman75 Chillin' With My Peeps

Check out my BYC page and coop. No insulation, no heat lamps, great ventilation, no draft, full size door facing south. Chickens have been doing fine.

and

[​IMG]

5. bogwitch

bogwitch Out Of The Brooder

Aug 2, 2011
    South Central Wisconsin
    Thanks for the advice! Patman75, what does your ventilation consist of? I see the one window, is there anything else?

6. patman75

patman75 Chillin' With My Peeps

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by