Need suggestions for food options for chickens raised in the tropics.

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by hwally, Jul 30, 2014.

1. hwally

hwally Out Of The Brooder

Aug 10, 2008
    I live in a small village in Mexico. Our chickens are Heinz 57. I'd like to come up with a simple mix to supplement their browsing The choice of prepared food available here seems to be whole corn, crushed corn, and a mix for fighting roosters. Our chicken are free range and this is the tropics so they get lots of bugs and plant life. I've looked at a lot of the diy formulas for feed and most of the ingredients aren't readily available. I'd appreciate any help. thank you.

2. YgritteChick

YgritteChick Out Of The Brooder

Jul 28, 2014
    Wisconsin
    What kind of grains and or legumes are the easiest for you to obtain? From things I have read, you can make chicken food from a variety of them. Anything from oats, wheat, barley, lentils, millet, sunflower seeds, quinoa, ...etc. Often people that make their own chicken feed add kelp to help make sure their chickens are getting the necessary nutrients. Some other common additions are brewers yeast, probiotics, or fish meal. I would guess your chickens wouldn't need fish meal and possibly not really need any of the additions, since they free range and get lots of bugs and greens :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by