Need suggestions on a breed of duck

RavenStorm

Songster
11 Years
Jun 1, 2008
Southern CA
Ok, so I am heading out tomorrow to pick up a duck buddy for my young Khaki Campbell. I have been told that any domestic breed will do as long as they are similar in age, but this is my first time actually getting to choose a duck and I want something that will fit with what I want and need. I really want a female for eggs (I'm fairly sure that my lil Khaki is a girl, it has been quaking LOUDLY and that's why I need to find a buddy for it), but I read somewhere that while Pekins are pretty high up there on the egg laying chart they quack a lot and very loudly. Is this true? The reason I'm trying to get to get a buddy for my duck is that I need her to talk in a lower voice and not scream for attention all day. Any suggestions? I already have a crazy neighbor throwing tantrums about the noise that this duck makes and getting her a friend is my last option before I have to give her away.

My cayugas are fairly quiet as ducks go. Hope you find her friend soon!
smile.png

I have Cayugas, Khaki Campbells, and Mallards, and they are all pretty quiet.

I agree with farm_mom, if you can't find another Campbell I would try to find a Cayuga. Mine are quiet, friendly and curious.

From the sounds of it, I think I really want a Cayuga. But I called up my the nearest feed store with ducks and right now all they have that are around the same age as my Khaki is mallards and pekins. I know I absolutely want a girl, and I while I know she will be a quacker I don't want loud ones like a pekin. What can you tell me about mallards? What is their ROL (rate of lay) because I haven't been able to find those figures. Are they loud like pekins?

The shop owner told me that he can order me any breed I want and it will be here by next Friday, but they will be only 1 day old. I would love to do that, but I'm not sure if I can join up my 5 week-old with a baby once it is ready to go outside. She is very friendly (but not with the chicks) and just in general very curious. Anyone have any input on if that would work?

Back
Top Bottom