Need suggestions on keeping out neighbor dogs...

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by chickiegal, Dec 9, 2014.

1. chickiegal

chickiegal Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2013
    Austin, TX
    I have a typical cedar privacy fence that I need to dog proof. Next door is a houdini dog who killed 2 of my girls a month ago. Now that she knows what's back there I'm afraid she will be back for more. She can dig under but also jump over as well. For the bottom to deter digging I'm trenching under the fence then applying cement with wire. Trying to figure out the top. Thought about using hardware cloth but don't want my yard to look like a prison yard. I've thought of a wooden lattice but wanted to hear suggestions from y'all. Any suggestions?

......chickiegal

2. Primo

Primo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2013
    Texas
    My first suggestion is have you talked to your neighbor about keeping their dog in??

3. AkChris

AkChris Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2014
    SE Alaska
    Are the neighbors willing to help with the fencing to keep their dog in. It really is their responsibility. Something like a inward leaning fence top would help deter jumping but it would need to be on the side with the dog.

On your side the only thing I can think of is to increase the height. Something like this with trellising would look nicer than wire. I've also seen something similar done with wire cables if you like the more modern/industrial look of cable fences.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. henless

henless Chillin' With My Peeps

You can try running an electric wire along the top of the fence. It might help deter her from jumping over.

5. bigmrg74

bigmrg74 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2014
    Clinton Michigan
    Good fences make good neighbors. I would think the neighbor would be willing to pitch in with a little help with putting up a new fence like this. Especially if it keeps their dog from getting into your yard and killing your chickens.

6. HighStreetCoop

HighStreetCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2014
    Oakland, CA
    My Coop
    Why are you having to undertake this? This is 100% the responsibility of the dog owners (and I say that as a one myself!). Did you call animal control and file a complaint when their dog broke loose and killed your birds? Did you document it? I'm all for being a good neighbor, but only when that is a reciprocal relationship!

If they won't take responsibility for containing their pet, I'd hotwire the fence, top and bottom (my parents had to do that to contain a particularly wild German Shorthaired Pointer).

7. gawildlife

gawildlife Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2014
    Hampton, GA
  8. Primo

Primo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2013
    Texas
    That coyoteroller looks like a great idea. I imagine you could make a home made version with 1/2" conduit then slip larger diameter pvc pipe to spin. Paint the pvc a decent color. May try this on my goat pen.

9. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Was thinking of this...didn't know what it was called, but seems an excellent concept...could be DIY'd.

10. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    I'd love feedback on the roller idea! Mary

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by