Need super extravagant coop design -craftsman

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Tracyree, Feb 20, 2015.

1. Tracyree

Tracyree Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    My husband has hired a landscape architect to add some outdoor spaces outside and wants to have them build a new coop. I am happy with what I have, but my husband wants it to match our craftsman home and landscape better.

Can anyone point me in the direction of finding a coop like this? I need to send ideas to the architect.

I'm picturing a fairy tale stone and shake garden type with craftsman elements.

I'm feeling lucky but overwhelmed at getting it "just right"

Edited to add: I have 8 hens but would like up to 25

Last edited: Feb 20, 2015
  2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
  3. Tracyree

Tracyree Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Thanks. Not finding what I had in mind in the "large" section. Maybe I should just let the architect design it and then tweet the plans so that it functions the way I want.

4. lynnehd

lynnehd Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2015
    Vancouver, Wa.
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2015
  5. yellowchicks

yellowchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2014
    NJ
    My Coop
    See post #7449 of this thread. I have posted an extravagant coop design there by an architect.

Your architect should read through all the comments pertained to that post to understand that form over function may not be the best design for the chickens. Have your architect first read through the BYC forums to understand the design criteria for the chicken coop.

6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I would give the architect the coop basics.......
    .....floor space, heights and sizes for roosts, nests, ventilation, pop doors, people doors, etc.......
    and let him design the building around those specifications.

I love the Craftsman aesthetic...can't wait o see what y'all come up with

Last edited: Feb 21, 2015
  7. RWD

RWD Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2011
    Wartrace TN.
    You will find that most people on BYC do not understand someone willing to pay for quality, beauty and function. The masses say that you should not spend over $100.00, but those are not the people you want to sell to or seek advice from. You need to sit down with someone with knowledge of coop design and building trades, and go over space requirements, ventilation needs, location due to odor and noise, exactly what you purpose for the coop will be, how to control noise odor and pest, how to see and enjoy your chickens, create a habitat they will thrive in, etc.........And then design the exterior which is only a facade that encompasses the nuts and bolts of the design.

8. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Painting in broad strokes there........

1 person likes this.
  9. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Wow. I agree.

Make sure that if you have an architect design it that they have a full understanding of the chickens needs.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2015
  10. RWD

RWD Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2011
    Wartrace TN.
    You are right, but I could just envision a pallet coop complete with tarp in the backyard of her Craftsman Style home, right next to the pool Cabana....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by