need supplier info, please

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Lemonbalmj, Mar 12, 2014.

1. Lemonbalmj

Lemonbalmj New Egg

Mar 12, 2014
    Hi All,

I am planning on adding some day olds around Easter. Just spoke to my local feed store- my usual supplier- and she is only getting peeps next week. Said Ideal, her supplier, is sold out until May.
    Geez, one would think they would have anticipated a big demand after the last few years of increasing numbers of chicken lovers.

Does anyone know of a supplier who would be shipping a few days before Easter? I have a flock of about 30 birds and only want 5-6 new girls this year….does any entity ship so few birds..??

Thank for any help you may offer.

-Judy

2. my sunwolf

my sunwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Ideal shouldn't be sold out... their website is awful, but when I look there I see all sorts of breeds that are available. Any of the major hatcheries will have chicks around Easter. You can always pay for your order now but have them shipped later; that way you'll be sure to get what breeds you want. There's also Meyer, McMurray, Cackle, and plenty of other hatcheries around. Be sure to check your local craigslist as well for breeders currently hatching chicks.

And welcome to BYC [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. Lemonbalmj

Lemonbalmj New Egg

Mar 12, 2014
    Thank you! I'll keep looking.
    Have the suppliers started to ship smaller amounts of birds??? I fully understand the need for warmth… but I don't need 25 birds!

I've been a member here for years but could NOT get my account to work so had to start over today. I LOVE this place.

4. Lemonbalmj

Lemonbalmj New Egg

Mar 12, 2014
    Yikes- the shipping on smaller numbers is ugly!

Called the feed store to suggest a 2nd, later order… fingers crossed for that option.

As many times as I petition Craig's List for a more local list, we are still stuck with the closest being a good 50-100 miles from us at this point.

So, I'm scrambling.- No pun intended.

5. my sunwolf

I'm so glad that you came back another way, then [​IMG] I did the same thing, but finally asked the mods and they helped me get my account back.

There are certain times of the year that they will ship less--each hatchery has their own minimum during different time frames. But I would just try to place my order for less and see what happens. They may send packing peanuts your way (I know a few of them do). Ideal has a minimum expenditure of $25.00 per order (does not include S+H). I think Meyer's minimum is usually 15, but starting in April goes down to only 3 chicks. Etc.

6. my sunwolf

Yeah, there are quite a few fees behind shipping fewer chicks.

I often go in with a friend or neighbor on an order so that we can get a good shipping rate.

Our craigslist is the same way--I usually have to drive at least an hour to get to anyone that lists there, but there have been a few exceptions.

If you just need red sex links, I have an excellent source, but if you're looking for anything else, it usually comes to paying the big bucks. Sometimes I have luck with winter specials from hatcheries (though it's too late for that this season), or going to a local poultry swap (we have one 30mins away, easy to meet a lot of backyard type breeders but quality is not always good).

7. Lemonbalmj

Lemonbalmj New Egg

Mar 12, 2014
    the shipping for 6 chicks in April from Meyer is $36.

8. Lemonbalmj

Lemonbalmj New Egg

Mar 12, 2014
    I've asked everyone I know locally if they'd go in with me on an order but so far no takers.

I would be interested in sex links, if you could share that source I would appreciate it.

9. 3riverschick

3riverschick Poultry Lit Chaser

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop
    Buy the 25 chicks and sell the rest you don't need on craigslist.
    Must be others near you with the same problem. And you may
    sell the extra chicks for enough to pay for your order!!
    If you don't care which breed you want, pick something you know
    will be popular like Marans or Rhode Island Reds or Welsummers or
    colored egg layers or?
    Choose all pullets so you are not saddled with trying to sell cockerels.
    Best,
    Karen

Last edited: Mar 12, 2014
  10. Lemonbalmj

Lemonbalmj New Egg

Mar 12, 2014
    good advice- which I am seriously considering.
    Have sold pullets in other years, it can work!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by