1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

NEED TIPS FOR A HATCHER!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by SonSet Farm, Jan 9, 2013.

1. SonSet Farm

SonSet Farm Out Of The Brooder

Nov 22, 2012
    hangin' in the coop
    Tomorrow our family will be making an egg hatcher out of a cooler. [​IMG] We have eggs hatching at different times, so we are using this opportunity to make one, because we have always wanted to anyway. We are ready with a cooler, light, fan, dish for water, viewing glass, etc. We would love any tips you could give us to prevent a fail! We know we need high humidity, warmth (have good thermometer and humidity gauge), ventilation, protection from light for chicks, etc. We also plan to use a dimmer switch on the light. We are so excited to give this a try, and will be so upset it we hurt our babies doing it wrong! We will be so thankful for any tips!! [​IMG]

2. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    talk to sallysunshine and marinecorpfarmer. Sally has links in her signature If you can find one of her posts with step by step. Be very very carefull If you dont use a thermastat temp spikes will kill the babies.

3. SonSet Farm

Nov 22, 2012
    hangin' in the coop
    That is my biggest fear! I am not sure how to search someone out on here, but I will try to find them! Thank you for your help!! [​IMG]

4. gabrielle1976

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
  5. gabrielle1976

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    If you have to use the dimmer for some reason , remmber for lock down a degree or a degree and a half to low is better then two high. But I would highly recomend getting the wafer thermastat

6. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    Hi LSonset!! The info is always in my signature.... some good info and videos explaining some stuff in the bator article!!
    click here cooler bator

7. Roxannemc

Roxannemc Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2012
    SE Missouri
    Humidity first 18 days 35-45Lsst 4 days up it to 65-70

8. SonSet Farm

Nov 22, 2012
    hangin' in the coop
    Hello Sally Sunshine!! [​IMG] I looked and looked for you lol! That is a great link...we are def using that to put together our hatcher...THANK YOU SOO MUCH!!! [​IMG]

9. SonSet Farm

Nov 22, 2012
    hangin' in the coop
    O it is so reassuring to read that...that has been my goal (after MUCH reading on BYC! [​IMG]) Thank you, that and any advise is needed and appreciated! It has been staying perfect, woke up this morning and humidity is 60 5 days before lockdown. Geeeeesh I hope it didn't hurt anything!! [​IMG]

10. SonSet Farm

Nov 22, 2012
    hangin' in the coop
    Thank you! I think we are going with that wafer thermometer. I read a lot of good stuff about it...I had never heard of it so thank you so much for telling me about it. I am so thankful for BYC!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by