Need tips for rasing a (possibly/most likely) blind chick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by PeepersMama, Mar 17, 2017.

1. PeepersMama

PeepersMama Living in a galaxy far, far away...

Well, we went out to the feed store to get "a couple orpingtons" and came home with a few more than we (okay, we totally did) expect. I saw this poor little EE laying in the bottom of the cage, being trampled by the other chicks, and at first we thought she was dead. Turns out she wasn't, but when ever we put her back in with the other chicks, she kinda wobbles around after one of the 3-day-olds, but when she goes back to the heat lamp the other babies start walking all over her [​IMG] I had noticed her eyes were unusually small, and the thought that she was blind had crossed my mind, but only breifly.

Right now she is up my sister's sleeve (yes I am serious) with one of the smaller chicks. Me and her will "mother hen" her for now, but what do we do about food and water? She drinks if we put a medicine cup up to her beak, but I'm not sure how to get her to eat...

BTW her name is Beth.

And thanks in advance for ANY tips. If you have an idea, post it. Thanks in advance!

2. PeepersMama

PeepersMama Living in a galaxy far, far away...

*sigh*
    Beth is no more [​IMG] She died a couple minutes ago, on my sister's lap, with my hand on top of her.

I'm pretty sure she was SEVERLY dehydrated - IF YOU HAVE A BLIND CHICK AND ARE READING THIS, GO GIVE THEM SOME WATER NOW. DON'T EVEN FINISH READING THIS, JUST GO!!!!

3. vicny05

vicny05 New Egg

Mar 17, 2017
    Really sorry to hear that RIP Beth x x x x x x x

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by